Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting walls ready to paint after wallpaper removal

Posted by sjack827 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 15:02

I'm made a mess of my living room. I don't know what I'm doing and it shows. I need some help and ideas.

I had removed wallpaper from the walls. The paper came off effortlessly, I just pulled it off. The wall underneath was fairly smooth and covered with some kind of off white primer. Because of what happened when I had someone paint my hallway, which had the same wallpaper, I decided to prime the walls with Gardz.

I didn't wash the walls or attempt to remove any paste. I just coated it (twice) with Gardz, thinking I could get someone over to skim coat it. The walls aren't damaged at all except in a few spots but they have a beady texture. All I want is smooth walls but the drywall people want hundreds of dollars to skim coat, saying that skim coating around trim is very time consuming. A friend said that I should have tried to wash the walls off. I am totally confused. I don't know what is wallpaper paste, wallpaper primer or what. I have limited skills when it comes to stuff like this.

Should I try to wash the paste off the walls even though I have already used Gardz? Should I be trying to remove the thick white coating on the walls -- is that the paste? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay someone to skim coat. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting walls ready to paint after wallpaper removal

GARDZ will not allow you to wash off the paste, it's sealed (locked) to the wall.

GARDZ is an excellent base to skim coat over. Call them.

o
RE: Getting walls ready to paint after wallpaper removal

I just had to use a steamer to get the wallpaper off because the people who hung the wallpaper didn't size. The guy at the paint store recommended putting an oil based stain blocker on the walls then painting w a latex paint...I guess based on brushworks comment it's a little late for this. :((((((

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here