Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephja007

Paint alligatoring fixes?

stephja007
9 years ago

We live in an 1880's farmhouse with painted poplar trim throughout the interior. The trim has been painted for decades (maybe even since the house was built). With our big renovation 4 years ago I scraped & sanded the trim and frames around door openings as much as possible but honestly there was no way of getting the paint off besides just sawing off the face off it. (That lead, milk, oil or whatever paint is not going any where). We put a coat of primer on it and a couple coats of paint, since we obviously had no clue what kind of paint it was and honestly there were several different types showing through at various places. The paint has slowly been alligatoring, cracking and even chipping in some areas. With a toddler in the house (and another on the way) I really don't want to attempt to scrape all the paint again since we don't really know what kind of paint we'll be exposing. Does anyone have any suggestions on paints/products to use to completely seal off the old? There are some rooms in the house that we DID NOT do this in depth scraping and they are doing the same thing so I'm not completely convinced it's just because we exposed this old paint.