Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Flaking Paint - Zinsser Primers - Gardz vs. Peel Stop

Vertise
11 years ago

My drywall has 40 year old builder's paint flaking off underneath a 30 year old paint job.

I'd come across Gardz a year or so ago and thought I understood it to lock down old flaking paint surfaces. I now see they have a product called Peel Stop and wonder if I used the wrong product. The wording on the Gardz specs doesn't specifically say flaking peeling paint. Its wording could be interpreted as damaged drywall only, I think.

Gardz - TDS - pdf document"

Peel Stop - TDS - pdf document

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two?

- I see Gardz says acrylic resin, Peel Stop says vinyl resin.

- Gardz says hard and moisture resistant. Peel Stop says it breathes and notes it is flexible.

- Solids are slightly different. Coverage and dry time are not exactly the same.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

You need to remove any loose flaking paint, then use the Peel Stop

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So many people recommend the Gardz. I actually read about it here and see others chatting about it elsewhere but haven't heard Peel Stop, which is odd. It isn't available in stores around here, only online for some reason. Gardz is out on the street.

I will order the Peel Stop, but do you know if there is that much difference?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Gardz is a fine product for many things, I use gallons and gallons of it. If you scrape off all the peeling paint ,it will do the job. Peel Stop is just Gardz on steriods and will lock down actual peeling paint( to a point)

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I've ordered some online. It's comparably priced to the Gardz and I was able to get free shipping and a $5 coupon. Hopefully it won't be a long wait.

It's very hard to find locally. I finally found an Ace store who stocked it but they were selling it for $30/gal instead of $20.

I hope to never see this paint flaking off again! What a horrible thing to have lurking in your walls.

Those type of shortcuts (vs. efficiency) are so much trouble in the end.

• lucillle
    11 years ago

I used Peel Bond, made by XIM. Had a badly flaking exterior. My son removed the flakes and I used Peel Bond and then painted and so far, not one flake.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How long ago was that? One store said they carried that and, of course, it was better, but when I looked it up it said it is for exteriors.

• lucillle
    11 years ago

It has been about a year. I did use it on the flaking exterior, did not know it was for exteriors only.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peel Stop does say it's an interior/exterior product.

I'm scraping down what is flaking but expect other areas are headed to fail down the road, so I wanted to lock the whole thing down hoping to avoid more of the same in the future. It was a poor first application, flaking all the way down to bare drywall.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Do you think this Peel Stop might work where my prior painter put BM White Dove over old semi-gloss painted door and wood trim? Much of the white is peeling off, and it's quite a job for me to take it all down to the old paint. I've been using a Black and Decker Mouse sander, but what a job.

This might be a nice compromise. Is Peel Stop highly volatile/aromatic? I have problems with smells. :/

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did you ask the painter to fix it? He should have known better.

You need to scrape all that's peeling off first, definitely. Then you have to sand the edges and level the finish. There is a Peel Stop Triple Thick that has a leveling effect. If it doesn't fill the scraped areas enough, you would have to use wood fill, sanding smooth and flat.

Triple Thick

It might be easier to just chemically strip the door and start over with a sound foundation. There are some strippers that are environmentally safe, but I don't know if any work really well.

I am not a pro.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thanks, snookums. No I didn't ask him. He had done much work before without problems but obviously messed up on this room. And he won't return so he's gone.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, sounded like an exterior door. Moldings in the house sounds tough. You might try experimenting on some scrap wood.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

You may be able to sand that door with an orbital sander. The mouse sanders are not very powerful as I'm sure you have figured out.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I talked with tech support and he says Gardz isn't really designed for flaking, peeling paint, although it will do something. The can kind of reads that it is but the wording of Peel Stop is very specific for peeling and flaking paint. He says it's like glue in a can and will work better than Gardz.

Neither product can penetrate all the way through, however, and lock it all down to the drywall for a fail-safe finish. It just glues down edges and areas that have tiny breaks in the finish going on.

Gardz states it is moisture resistant and they did say it would work well for the area over the tub for splashing, steam, etc. Whereas, Peel Stop breathes and is not moisture resistant.

FYI. A lot of people recommend Gardz for the paint peeling problem. Peel Stop is what's designed for that.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

In the same genre is Peel Bond and Mad Dog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peel Bond

• PRO
    11 years ago

Well, I talked with tech support and he says Gardz isn't really designed for flaking, peeling paint, although it will do something. The can kind of reads that it is but the wording of Peel Stop is very specific for peeling and flaking paint. He says it's like glue in a can and will work better than Gardz.

Did I not say that?

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, you did. I'm just reiterating, confirming what the manufacturer said for those who are interested. A lot of people are recommending the Gardz for some reason, which is odd. I had used it downstairs based on consistent recommendations. The can is a bit misleading, I think, if it isn't really supposed to be used for those types of paint problems.

• Ednamaee
    7 years ago

I am going to use peel stop to make sure my drywall tape at the ceiling wall corner stays attached after removing popcorn. Fingers crossed. Guards is for when you rip the surface off drywall down to the brown paper...wallpaper removal, scraping popcorn, removing a backsplash, etc.. Because then the drywall will bubble if painted or repaired and not sealed first. I use wood glue on small spots if I don't have gardz.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure