Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Paint Brass Wood Stove Door?

Posted by kendog2 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 13:53

Our wood stove door is made of brass (at least that's what it looks like). I'm trying to eliminate all of the brass finish in our home and would like to change the stove door color to satin nickel. I was planning to sand the door to rough it up, primer with engine primer and then spray with high heat paint. I don't know if engine paint comes in satin nickel but if not, I figured some kind of silver or stainless color might work.

The wood stove shop in town told me that paint won't stick to brass. Is that true? I don't want to paint if it's going to peel. Any advice would be appreciated. If it's ok to paint, should I use 100 grit or fine grit sandpaper before priming? Would I also need to sand after priming and between paint coats?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Paint Brass Wood Stove Door?

You can probably blacken it with a patinating chemical application much more successfully. There will be nothing to burn or chip off like with paint. You will have to remove the creosote stains and lacquer (if any) so the chemical can penetrate to bare metal.
Casey

o

Could something like this help.

Other than that maybe an auto shop could give suggestions .
Men are always chroming parts of their cars......

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O5D4QI/ref=nosim?tag=finishingcominc

o

Thank you both for your responses. Sombreuil, I've never heard of patinating chemical but I'll look into that if it turns out that painting isn't feasible. Forboystoo, thank you for the link. I couldn't tell if the primer is heat resistant or not but I'll find out. I will also check with an auto shop. That's a great idea.

o

Here are patinating formulas/processes.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: brass patinas

o

Thank you Casey!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here