Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rats, I didn't clip your responses on wallpapering

Posted by sorriso (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 13:42

About, oh two years ago, I got the grand idea to wallpaper a couple of walls in our dining area. And finally we're actually going to do it. At that time I posted a question asking for your hints, received MANY excellent responses and don't you know, I didn't clip them and they've fallen off the list.

Would you mind doing it again? We've never wallpapered before and want to decrease potential insanity over the task. Here's what I bought: http://www.swdecorating.com/default.asp?fm=/easychange.asp: described as pre-pasted and it's an "easychange" wallpaper.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: the enlarged view

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rats, I didn't clip your responses on wallpapering

What do you want to know???

o

Just everything of course!

There are tips on the Sherwin Williams page about hanging wallpaper but I want to hear things from the forum because to me it's more "real." Out of sheer laziness I don't even know if there's a special paste to use to adhere it to the wall. What tools do we need? I seem to recall from my childhood that some kind of a stick/bar is used to smooth it once up. Since we're only doing two walls we only have one corner--any suggestions? Best part, the house is over 150 years old, not level or plumb so that adds another challenge--or not; but what do I know?

Thank you for asking christophern.

o

Read the directions that came with the wallpaper to determine which wallcovering primer to use and which paste. The primer is the most important thing because it makes hanging easier and removal later easier as well.

o

There are no apparent directions that came with the wallpaper. I ordered it via telephone from the local store after having received a sample at home months ago and it was shipped to my house. There were no separate directions in the packaging. I haven't opened a roll yet, could there be directions on the under-side of the label?

o

Usually, there is a sheet of directions inside the wallpaper roll. If not, perhaps you can look for manufacturers directions online on their website. If not, I believe that Shieldz is a good general purpose wallcovering primer. It is made by Zinnser.

o

I was papering a bath for a friend after he had tried doing it himself. As he watched me carefully work around the built in vanity, he said: "So the trick is to be really patient"! That would be my most important suggestion. Make small cuts and clips as you are trying to fit the paper around various obstacles like windows, doors, fireplaces, bathtubs, etc. Hope that helps.

o

Goggle it, there are many sites that give you and idea. Take my word, it is NOT as easy as it looks( to do properly) I did this for a living for 20 years. Here is a site to get you started( disregard the hideous paper selection)

Here is a link that might be useful: wall paper

o

Thank you all for the input; I've bookmarked the site christophern. We do appreciate the difficulty of the task--hence the questions. The only obstacle, other than ourselves and the crookedness of the house, is the thermostat to go around and that's coming off the wall for the papering so it doesn't require rafor's skill! Other than that it's just the two interior walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here