Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawamida_gw

Paint or EPOXY for 101 year old basement floor

kawamida
11 years ago

Help me choose please! Head ready to explode. Need EASY DIY solution for concrete basement floor.

Reno nearly complete (drywall, paint) on our old basement except for floor. We have ruled out other floor coverings (tile, vinyl plank) and are planning to paint concrete and cover with area rugs. Will be in a small rec room/guest room, hallway and laundry/workshop. Not really high traffic.

Paint will be DIY project.

- There is existing mystery paint on concrete that is peeling.

- Planning on scraping as well as possible. Will rent sander if needed.

- Trying to avoid acid etching if possible. Sounds dangerous.

- Will patch and cure for 3 weeks as recommended.

- Will vacuum and clean as much as possible.

- Floor is in ok shape, but it is old. Ceilings low, budget tight, going to work with what we have.

- No moisture issues, but it is and old basement and we are near Lake Ontario. Not expecting perfection, just don't want to have to re-do in a year.

Looking at either:

1) Latex porch/floor paint - prime and paint, like walls

2) 1 or 2 stage Epoxy - maybe a garage floor kit? Have heard these are either fantastic or total garbage. Paint store people tell me it's overkill but I think it looks pretty good. Behr makes a 1 stage epoxy (Home Depot). Lots of 2 stage garage floor kits, I'm thinking H&C (Sherwin Williams) because they have an ivory color that I like. Also thinking the confetti bits are good as they will help disguise minor imperfections. Cheesy but useful. Have heard this is a bad idea if I don't etch the floor 1st... Any experience here??

If you've used any of these paints in your basement on concrete, I'd love to hear how it's holding up and whether you'd do it again. Any and all info/tips/recos gratefully accepted!! THANK YOU!

Comments (5)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I've heard the same as you about the epoxy paints...sometimes they peel and are awful...sometimes they're fine.

I think it's all in the prep....your current mystery paint is probably peeling because of what's underneath it.

We painted the concrete floor in the store room, but it was a new floor and DH sealed it with concrete sealer before he painted it....it seems to holding up very well.

I know you've said you've discussed other options, but the cheapest and warmest and easiest flooring is carpet.....it won't peel....you can get the indoor/outdoor stuff that's polypropylene so it won't abosorb or hold moisture...in a low level loop pile, it will be easy to clean, very durable and you can always throw area rugs on top if you want.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I used the Quickrete 2 part epoxy on our unattached metal barn-type garage. The floor was about a year old and didn't appear to have oil spots, but we pressure washed and used the acid etching as recommended. The epoxy has been down for over two years and is wearing like iron. I used a creamy beige with the little sprinkles and also used the sand type stuff in the top coat to prevent slipping.

I did a significant amount of research and some of the pros on a garage forum I found called it junk but I am extremely happy with it. We have scooted metal shelving, bicycles, park our vehicles in there - all the things you use a garage for and absolutely no peeling or scratching.

My SIL put it in her basement and it is doing well there also.

• kawamida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THanks for the replies!

AnnieDeighnaugh, you are right, I'm now looking into indoor/outdoor carpet... it's more budget friendly than I thought! Will see if I can use it in combo with paint in the laundry/workroom area. Sounds like a better option for the rec room/guest room area where the floor is in the worst shape.

tuesday_2008, I'm so glad to hear your epoxy worked out as a DIY project. I just spoke to Sherwin Williams yesterday and they said that they only sell epoxy to pros and that it is not DIY friendly in their opinion. I am tempted and really like the look, but it's nearly Xmas and here in TO, that means temps are dropping. I think epoxy is probably out for us as I cannot power wash (fresh drywall!) and the prep could kill me. Also, I've got guests arriving in a month and would love to be totally finished by then.... ARG!

All paint store people seem to keep pointing me toward porch paint. They say epoxy is overkill for a basement. As I tend to generally err on the side of overkill I'm still tempted but time is ticking and apparently concrete patching must cure for 20+ days so I think I'm going to have to give in on this front.... Oh well, at least if I go with porch paint I've got more colour choices than just beige or gray in the standard epoxy kits (Rustoleum, etc)

Appreciate the feedback and will keep trying to figure out best options. Will report back on our final choices.... thank you!!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

DO NOT put primer under porch paint

• dejong1993
    11 years ago

If you would like to look further into the epoxy route I suggest checking into this website. It breaks down cost and claims that you can save up to 800 dollars by doing it yourself. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Epoxy flooring DIY

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz