Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual priming need

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:34

House with textured ceiling-- which will remain. The ceiling drywall was installed in 1968 with just half the proper number of fasteners- no recourse against the builder possible. Trusses are 24" on center, 1/2" drywall. It sagged a little and with the help of a T-Jak, the ceiling panels were pushed up tight and properly screwed to the trusses above. Since the previous fasteners cannot be seen, the new fasteners were installed to comply fully with recommended spacing.
Most water-soluble paints will also rust steel fasteners. So I want a barrier coating between the screw head and the latex primer which will have the texture mixed into it and be applied just to the area of the screws prior to painting the entire ceiling. I have tried a spritz of automotive primer in the rattle can on each screw head. Seems to do as I hoped, but the fumes in this heating season are intolerable for me, the applicator. Nail polish is too slick, I think, for the primer to bond well.
Your suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual priming need

Zinnsers Cover Stain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here