Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Security Door and Entry Door color

Posted by peace_rose (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 12:46

We just installed a new exterior door and plan on installing a security door, too. I'm torn whether to choose white or black. As you can see, the house is blue (BM Denim Wash), with white trim. Here's a picture from Halloween night:

Photobucket

I personally like black security doors better, but I'm wondering if we should stick with white because the trim on the house is white, too.

I'm also pondering if I should paint the entry door an accent color, perhaps a shade of red or green? The Denim Wash is rather bold, so I don't want it to all end up looking like a carnival. So thinking about all this together, what would you do?

Here's a picture of what's behind the front door:

Photobucket

And from another angle:
Photobucket

And the exterior during the day:

Photobucket

I've got a cottage style going on, but everything is a work in progress. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Security Door and Entry Door color

How about a shade of yellow...its goes very well with blue but would not be jarring. I've seen some gorgeous yellow front doors shown on threads in the Home Decorating forum.
This sounds silly, but what is a security door? Is it a storm door? I always like it when the storm door is painted the same color as the front door. Otherwise, in my opinion it often makes the front door look too small.

o

Not silly at all - you're not a mind reader!
I'm thinking something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100560955/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202766475

I've got small children who tend to leave the door open when they come and go, so I want something with a screen to keep the bugs out and the heat in.

Anyway, I hadn't considered yellow. Thanks for that suggestion. Perhaps something mustardy?

o

Have you thought of a really nice screen door that you could paint any color? I had an iron security door when I lived in the city and never liked it; it was purely to help prevent breakins. Most of them aren't screened either so I don't think they would help with the bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Screen Door Co.

o

Ooohh, I love the idea of a wooden screen door! It would fit with the style of the house just perfectly. Thank you for helping me think outside the box. So what color to paint the entry door and screen door?

o

Have you cross posted on the Home Decorating forum? Lots of folks over there are good with helping select colors.

And I'm not sure that a screen door/storm door has to be wood. Many in my neighborhood have painted their metal storm/screen doors. (Often they are one in the same...you can switch out the screen for "glass" in the winter.)

o

I have an aluminum clad storm door that can be switched out for a screen in the summer...honestly I've never done it, none of us feels like unscrewing that large plate of glass and fooling with it. So it's glass all year.

OP, my neighbor has one of those screen doors from the link. They have it painted in their accent color (I guess it is the third color on their exterior, it's an apricot type of color on their house is sage green); it looks so charming. Plus there is something so summery and homey about the gentle slap sound that wooden door makes when the kids run in and out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here