Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built-In TV Cabinet, painted black

Posted by Capegirl05 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 12:40

I need an opinion or two:

Had a large cabinet for tv built by our cabinet maker with plans to paint it black. I put two coats of primer (tinted a very dark grey, almost black) on with a brush and realized that I was in a bit over my head and might want the pros to spray on the remaining coats (when they were painiting the rest of the house)...I used BM Alkyd Satin Impervo...they finished the job and it looked fine. Fast-forward several weeks and we are moving in, and about to install and set in place the tv and I notice there are some scratches on the shelf for tv...So I lightly sanded and cleaned, and as soon as I opened the left over paint can...I could tell (By smell and composition of paint) they had added lacquer. Not what I had requested, but it is done and they are long gone. OK, so I used this laquer to paint the shelf (with a brush) and I also did another area of touch up.
NOW that it has dried, the new coat and touch up area has a glossier sheen. It is actually a prettier sheen, IMO.

Here's my ???: Should I repaint the whole cabinet using the lacquer to achieve this sheen so it all matches OR should I just go get some "glossy" BM black? Can I apply the lacquer with a brush>?

Thanks for any help you can give me...
Capegirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built-In TV Cabinet, painted black

I have no idea what type lacquer they mixed in the can so I can't make a recommendation.

Since they sprayed it, I'd assume it's not brushing lacquer. But.....who knows but them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here