Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you thin paint with water

Posted by frappe1417 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 23, 09 at 12:31

I am looking to re-paint my hallway, years ago I used a Ralph lauren paint but it seemed very thick and almost left a textured look on the wall (a bit bumpy and grovy pitted) but for the basement I used a cheap canadian tire paint and it went on soooo smooth loved it.

I was wondering can I add water to the paint to thin it out a bit would this give me more of a smooth finish rather then pitted?

Second what size of roller do you recommend? I think I used a 15mm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you thin paint with water

Yes, you can thin paint with water, but this may affect coverage and alter the integrity of the paint film. You are better off using a paint conditioner like Floetrol or XIM. XIM is better, but Floetrol will work. I would recommend a 3/8" nap if you are painting with a washable paint.

o

Most quality latex paints are somewhat thick. Consider pouring the gallon of paint out of its original container into another. You will see a small amount of paint left in the bottom of the original container. Add a small amount of water to this, generally about 1 cup. Stir or return the paint lid and shake very well to mix the water and paint at the bottom of the container. Now add this back to the original paint you poured out previously and stir very well. This should allow the paint to be applied without the orange peel look. As mentioned a 3/8 to 1/2 inch roller cover and a good sanding of the old paint job should leave a pleasant look.

o

Ralph Lauren paint is designed to look like that, watering it down will ruin that effect. Just get normal paint and skip RL and you will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here