Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allboys_gw

Paint Pulled Off With Tape

allboys
12 years ago

When pulling off the tape from my walls, some of the paint pulled off in sheets, right down to the white painted wall underneath my new red paint in some areas. Unfortunately, I had to use several coats of paint because I was painting over builder paint for the first time and so there is a pretty large difference where the red edge pulled away and the original wall.

I am wondering what the best way to fix this might be. Should I sand the areas where this happened (tricky because it is between the wall and ceiling, seems like it would be difficult to sand) or should I try some spackle to even it out, then repaint?

This was a big enough job without this problem and I am not sure what to do. :-(

Comments (10)

• allboys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to add that I used Aura paint and the green frog tape. I pulled the tape after I finished all of the coats I needed in the whole room, so about three days total.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

I wish there was a "Sticky" thread/post feature here, so common miscues like this would always be visible in the thread-listings!!

>>> Are ya listening GW-Moderators?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Modern paints/primers DRY quickly.

>>>> BUT The trick here is realizing that your new paint is DRIED TO ITSELF, AS A SHEET-FILM, MUCH SOONER than it bonds to the wall.
    >>> That's why new paint-films are so vulnerable to being torn off when tape is removed!!!
    * That little "bridge" of paint that laps onto the tape is part of the WALL-FILM.
    * Because this overlap is now a "dry-sheet" with the rest of the wall, it'll easily take the wall-film with it when tape is lifted!!!
    * Again...this occurs because the paint hasn't even remotely bonded to the substrate yet.

I've babbled this MANY times here....
    * I PURPOSELY wait 'till next day to remove my tape.
    * The cut-line is very sharp this way!
    * With a SHARP box-cutter or snap-knife, slowly score thru the new paint-film, AT THE TAPE EDGE.
    * By doing this, you're now SEPARATING the wall-paint from the tape.
    * Obviously, the tape is now "free" of the "still bonding" paint that's left behind on the wall.

Full cure-through of some paints CAN take a MONTH.

The Remedy?!?!!?
    Wellllll....* ahem * ...
    Yes...spackling to level, sanding flush, and any re-texturing.
    * Touching-up only these areas will probably be very noticeable...
    * Re-tape again if desired.
    * I'd now RE-PRIME THE WHOLE WALL to med-gray.
    * Apply the Red.
    * Buy a sharp knife. Go to bed....;-)
    * Score tape-edge tomorrow (!?), and your problem is over....
    * Now you can tell all your friends who are maybe re-painting, your new "secret"!

Faron

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Is there not a SEARCH function?
    This has been gone over time and time again

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

I wonder if this is an issue with Frog Tape though. I never have problems with 3Ms blue tape. I try to pull the tape when it is still wet though, probably around 20 minutes or so after the painting is completed. But, if I have to pull it the next day, it comes off just fine with no scoring at all too.

• allboys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

christophern:

Yes there is a SEARCH function, and I used it before I posted. If you had taken as much time to read my post as you did for your snarky reply, you would have seen that I was not asking why it happened but how to repair it. That has not been gone over time and time again, at least not as far as my search found. Maybe you should take your very valuable time and learn some critical reading skills, or perhaps learn something about kindness or generosity? Seems your time would be well spent.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

The search feature here stinks - not consistent. Using Google serach is easier to find Garden Web topics and threads than using the GW search right here on the forum.

Faron, another idea is you could put it into a Squidoo article and then you can just post a link to the info.

That's what I did with Brushwork's tutorial on painting cabinets, my info on LRV, etc.

• Linda
    12 years ago

I just used frog tape twice and i think the stuff is awesome. I didnt have any problem with it peeling the paint off. I used it on one room and pulled it off within an hour of painting, on the second room, it required a second coat which I did the next day. The tape came off of that with no problem too. It sounds like maybe you painted the coats before the first coat was dried?

• Lori Wickham
    3 years ago

It peeled not only my paint off the wall, but the top coat of the drywall. Gah! I havd no idea what to do with it now.

• ari123
    3 years ago

I am livid that this same sort of thing happed to me. I have to now somehow repair the damaged sheetrock.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz