Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint & Primer Recommendations for Metal Garage Door

Posted by kendog2 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 11:27

We're preparing to paint our garage door. It isn't peeling but we want it to more closely match the house trim color. I have Rustoleum High Performance Metal Primer and Zinnser 123 on hand. Which would be the best primer to use?

Before I knew better, I painted our house trim with Behr satin exterior latex paint. It has held up pretty well considering our very hot, dry summers. I've been reading threads that recommend 100% acrylic paint for exterior paint jobs. I would like to use the satin latex paint in order not to waste it and because our budget is very tight. However, it's important to me to do the job right the first time. I don't want to have problems with peeling paint in the future. Would the Behr satin latex work just fine as long as we clean and prime properly or would it be wiser to invest in a gallon of semi-gloss Acrylic paint? If so, any particular brand recommendations? Locally, we can get Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Frazee, Vista. (I also have some Rustoleum Industrial oil based metal paint on hand if that is a better option.) Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint & Primer Recommendations for Metal Garage Door

We had a garage door to paint that was powder coated aluminum. The BM guys recommended priming with Stix which we did and then put the finish coat on it....so far so good. Only thing is the stix does dry really quickly so I had to paint it not in the sun and on a fairly cool and humid day for best results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here