Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dining Room Paint Type

Posted by bojangling (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 11:13

I am repainting my dining room. The room is divided into two halves (top and bottom) by a chair rail. I plan on painting the top half either a flat or eggshell depending on the wall condition.

On the bottom half I have the chair rail, base board, some box trim and the drywall. My question is what type of paint is recommended for these? Should it all be the same or can the baseboard be different? I.E. if I use semigloss on the baseboard can I then paint the chair rail, box trim, and drywall in eggshell? Is this what most people do? I appreciate any help!

I also have a chair rail and some box trim between the baseboard and chair rail.

My question is what type of paint do I use for the chair rail and box trim? Do I use the same type of paint I plan to use for the

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dining Room Paint Type

It's really a subjective answer, what one person likes might not be another person's preference. Maybe try to find which colors you want and then get a quart of each for testing.

o

Thanks tjdabomb! Was hoping to avoid the trials by seeing what most people have done since this seems to be a fairly common dining room treatment.

Anyone else?

o

All trim should be semi gloss( imo)

o

Even the drywall between the chair rail, trim and baseboard?

o

NO,

All the trim( the wooden stuff)

o

You can paint everything below the chair rail with the trim paint if your goal is to make that look like it's all wood. This is very common, but it is perfectly fine to paint just the picture moulding with the trim paint and paint the drywall with the wall color.

o

I would always paint the chair rail or picture rail the same finish as baseboard and window casings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here