Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing paint color for wood paneling

Posted by lynnphi (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 10:59

Hello all - I have to say this is an amazing forum. We have just bought a new house and I've consulted these boards endlessly! So thanks to you all.

I have a specific "problem" that I'd appreciate input on. Our family room has beautiful cathedral ceilings, dark wood beams and dark wood floors. The only issue - very yellow, very knotty pine wood paneled walls.

I have already committed to painting them (considered keeping them or whitewashing them, but in the end just want something clean looking) and now I'm deciding on a paint color. So far I have considered BM's abingdon putty, putnam ivory, or maybe a shade darker like wheeling neutral.

I wonder if I should go more gray, to evoke that beachy wood feel. Most pictures I see of painted wood paneling is done in white, but since the ceiling is so high I am afraid doing white will make everything feel lost in the room.

What color would you recommend? Please disregard the furniture/decor - it's not ours!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing paint color for wood paneling

If you are not whitewashing, then you can pick any paint color you'd like.

Rather than picking a color cold, I would start with an inspiration piece...a picture of a room from houzz.com or a magazine, a plate, a piece of art, a landscape you'd like to be reminded of...anything.

Then, once you have a direction, you can pick your colors, fabrics, carpets, etc. to take you in that direction to achieve the look you want.

o

Thanks Annie for responding. I have checked out houzz for inspiration ideas. I suppose my question was more about whether the color decision will be influenced by the fact that the walls will be wood textured. Most of the rooms shown are on smooth sheetrock. With the groove of the wood showing, I am wondering if using a dark color will make it look dated. Just thinking aloud. Thanks again!

o

We had awful cheap paneling in the basement of the old house and we painted it before we sold it...I picked a pale blue in one part and a cream in the other...it came out nice and the grooves really didn't matter...it just makes the room look a solid color...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here