Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpierel

green paint

cpierel
13 years ago

My entire house, walls and ceilings are painted SW Easy Green- way too much green for me. Many ceilings in my 3300 sq ft house are 20 ft. I can't afford to repaint everything, so my question is : What effect will painting the ceilings white have? Also should I use a creamy, brilliant or grey white? I hope to lower the intensity and value of the green- would love to grey it up too. Help!

Comments (2)

• ashef
    13 years ago

Oh my! I love green & have several green rooms, but having the same color green walls AND ceilings in every room would be way too much for me, too. I cannot imagine anybody painting ceilings such a strong color but I'm sure it was the cheapest option. Which brings up the issue of the quality of paint they used: you can be pretty sure it's the lowest quality SW paint made and that it won't look good for long.

It makes more sense for you to look at this as a long term project than as a short term one in which you just have a few ceilings painted white and keep the SW low grade Easy Green on every wall. Figure out what colors you want your walls to be. Then, prioritize the rooms you most want to paint and have both walls & ceilings repainted with quality paint as you have the money.

You can save money by painting the ceilings and/or walls of the rooms with 8' or 9' ceilings yourself. It's not hard, just takes some time and preparation. I just painted the walls of my vaulted living room but even as much as I hate spending money, I don't think I'd tackle the 20' ceiling myself. Fortunately, my ceiling is white and doesn't need painting.

So first decide on the colors you want in your various rooms. I recommend you do tentative house-wide color choices. After that, paint as you can.

Allie

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

If you aren't a good edger, here's a trick I learned from some Czech friends..paint the ceiling white down 2 or 3 inches to simulate crown molding. Really easy to do, and you don't go crazy trying to bead a good clean edge. Tape and paint.