Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pittsburgh vs. Sherwin Williams

Posted by karoloke (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 19, 10 at 10:46

I found a Sherwin Williams paint color I like and a very similar one in Pittsburgh Paints. I've never used either. Is one brand better than the other? How about the cost? I'll either use their best flat or best eggshell (if their eggshell is not too shiney). Some brands seem to have more shine than others. Does anyone know how shiney either of these brands' eggshell is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pittsburgh vs. Sherwin Williams

Buy the top grades of either.
Use good roller-covers and good technique.
Clean (POWDERED Dirtex is my fave, and I recommend it to our customers frequently) and possibly prime your walls.

Yep..."sheen" is relative, kinda like shoe or jean sizes!!

My FPE Eurolux Matte is shinier than our C2 Eggshell!
(EXTREMELY good paint though!)

Faron

o

"Best" grade in SW is usually assumed to be Duration. Duration eggshell has a generous edge of gloss to it. If we pretend that there is a scale for eggshell sheen, Duration eggshell would be plotted on the higher end toward glossiest.

Pittsburgh Paints Manor Hall or Manor Hall Timeless are both excellent options out of PPG - gorgeous final finish for both. On the imaginary scale for eggshell, the Manor Halls would be at the opposite end from Duration. They are far less glossy - more like a "matte eggshell" than a glossy one.

Both brand's best grades are excellent options at fair price points.

o

I've recently used SW's Duration Matte. It looks flat when you look at it straight, but there is a slight sheen when viewed at an angle. Beautiful paint, with good coverage and no splatter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here