Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregbo_gw

priming old bathroom

gregbo
14 years ago

Hey there,

In the bathroom of the house I bought recently, I pulled up the 40 year old wallpaper and found that it was applied directly to the drywall. The walls have a yellow look about them with some white smears. I am assuming this is the residue on the drywall. There are mildly rough areas where the paste is, but I fear washing the paste off and damaging the drywall.

Is it safe to simply seal over the paste residue using GARDZ and paint from there? Should I sand down the slight texture of the paste residue and then seal with GARDZ? Is GARDZ the best choice for a humid area such as a bathroom?

Also, in one small spot, when I pulled up the paper, the top layer of the drywall came up. Should I sand/seal/skim that area and then paint, or is there a better way to handle it?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Comments (5)

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Yeah, patch the drywall by removing the loose paper facing and filling that and then sanding. I would actually use some Gardz on the ripped paper before patching so that the patch won't bubble. I do not believe that Gardz is designed to be used on mass amounts of wallpaper glue. I always try to remove at least 90 percent of it and then just use the Gardz on the residual paste.

• pro_painter
    14 years ago

Generally it is a good idea to remove as much of the old paper, if that is what you would like to do, and paper paste remaining on the wall as possible. There are several products that are simply mixed with warm water and sponged on the wall to help with this process. Some of the local paint stores in your area should carry the product Diff or something similar. Follow the instructions of the product and all should be fine.

After the removal of the paper and paste and the walls are clean and dry, lightly sand and prime with the Gardz.

Allow the Gardz time to dry thoroughly then patch any defects there may be in the drywall with spackling or joint compound. Upon drying, sand and spot prime these areas.

The walls should now finish out nicely with two coats of a quality latex paint. Consider a washable paint for the bath area ÂÂ eggshell, satin.

• pro_painter
    14 years ago

Just a little something that may be helpful if interested in removing the paper.

Score the Wallpaper
    The key to easy wallpaper removal is to loosen the glue underneath. Do this by perforating the surface with a wallpaper scoring tool like the PaperTiger Scoring Tool. The unique patented cutting action of the PaperTiger perforates the wallpaper without damaging the wall to allow wallpaper stripper to penetrate through the paper. Just use light pressure and perforate the entire wallpapered surface. The more holes you make, the faster and easier the paper will come off.

Apply DIF Wallpaper Stripper
    After perforating the wallpaper, apply DIF Wallpaper Stripper Liquid Concentrate or DIF Ready to Use Gel to the wall to soften the glue and loosen the wallpaper. The fast acting enzyme formula penetrates and dissolves hard-to-remove glue, like clay-based adhesive, in one-step-- quickly and efficiently. They are faster and more efficient than using plain water or home-brewed solutions like vinegar and water or using heavy, dangerous steamers.
    Apply DIF starting at the top and working your way down, using a sprayer, sponge or WALWorks Adhesive & Stripper Roller. Ideal for applying DIF Gel, WALWorks Rollers hold up to 3 times more than ordinary rollers, delivering the right amount of adhesive or stripper with less effort than with traditional tools. Let DIF soak for 15 to 20 minutes. When the wallpaper turns a dark color or starts to bubble it is ready to be removed.

Remove the Wallpaper
    Remove loosened wallpaper by using a Paper Scraper Wallpaper Remover and Wall Scraper. An ordinary razor blade or scraping tool can cause damage to walls if held at the wrong angle, or if applied with too much pressure. Paper ScraperÂs angled blade eliminates human error, and scrapes off stubborn sections of paper without damaging the surface.

Remove the Glue Residue
    Once all the wallpaper has been removed, reapply DIF for 15 to 20 minutes to remove any remaining glue. Use Paper Scraper to scrape away glue residue, then wipe down the walls with a damp sponge WALWorks Wall & Wallcovering Sponge. After all excess glue has been removed youÂre ready to start redecorating!

Congratulations! You're all finished!
    On your next wallpaper project, apply one coat of SHIELDZ Universal Pre-Wallcovering Primer before hanging. SHIELDZ prepares the surface for hanging any type of wallpaper and makes it easier to position, improves its adhesion, and makes it easier to remove when it comes time to redecorate again.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

pro painter quotes
    The unique patented cutting action of the PaperTiger perforates the wallpaper without damaging the wall to allow wallpaper stripper to penetrate through the paper

I am assuming you cut and pasted this info from another site. Most home owners and pros alike use too much pressure with this tool and do serious damage to the drywall. I have seen it countless times.This tool works well but must be used VERY carefully to JUST score the surface or the paper NOT go the whole way to the wall.To make a statement that this tool was designed not to damage drywall is just ludicrous.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

Also, just to add, what is holding the wall paper to the wall is paste or adhesive. Actual glue has not been used for over 50 years or more.Here is a link to a better removal solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: safe and simple