Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SW Deckscapes Stain - is it really this bad?

Posted by patriceny (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 10:36

Hi everyone - looking for some professional advice. Either SW deckscapes stain is a horrible product, or I did something wrong.

Brief background - I am a decent painter. I'm slow....but I can't beat my rates. (Ha-ha.) I am no professional painter either though, and I've learned a lot through the years.

I have always used Lowes paint. I know, I know...most of you guys hate the stuff. I have only had one major disaster with their paints through the years. But I keep reading here and elsewhere that everyone LOVES BM or SW paint, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I have a new front porch (wood) that needed its first staining. SW had a color that appealed to me.

The good? It went on easily, covered well and did indeed just feel like a better quality product that I'm used to from Lowes.

The bad? Every single footprint shows up on it! The final finish is very, very flat, and so every blessed time someone walks on it, it leaves behind dirt tracks that can NOT be swept off.

It is only a month or so old, and it looks absolutely horrible. I've used various other deck products through the years (on other decks), and I've never had anything that held onto dirt like this product does.

Any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

And is there any way to fix this?

I'm in New York, so my outside staining window is probably done for the year. All I know is, the first thing I'm doing this spring is re-staining that porch...and whatever I use is not likely going to be from Sherwin Williams! :(

What would you suggest for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here