Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for the 'right' beige

Posted by thatgirl2478 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 10:02

If we had white/off white trim, this wouldn't be so freakin' hard! However, we have nice old reddish oak trim and stained wood floors (red mahogany - so dark w/ a reddish cast). I've been looking for the 'right' beige for a while now, so I'm looking for suggestions!

'Right' in my mind means:
1. Not too dark or too light
2. Doesn't look like human skin on the walls (so not too peachy/pinky).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for the 'right' beige

Try posting your question on the Home Decorating forum. I believe you will get helpful feedback there. Most posters here are more technical regarding application.

Also a photo would be good and description of the lighting as many colors change with the surroundings and illumination. Good luck.

o

Beiges tend to have either peachey undertones or greenish undertones.

I'd suggest a beige that has slight green undertones. Check SW strips 18-23. That will "cool" off the red in your woods.

You might even want to consider a neutral gray/green like those on SW strips 24, 25, 27. red and green are complementary colors so you'd be safe going into the green family, as long as it's the right green (not too much yellow in it).

Ask the color consultant at your local SW store for advice. Try a few of the $5 sample jars before committing to a whole gallon (which is non-returnable once tinted). Paint the sample colors on large foamboard and live with them for a few days.

Good luck.

o

Thanks for the feed back - I had looked for a decorating forum, but apparently not hard enough :).

I'll stop by the SW store and check out those colors

o

Here's a link to the Home Decorating forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

o

I searched for the "right" beige for years- one that did not have too much yellow in it or other undertones such as red, purple or green. I finally settled on Grant Beige by Benjamin Moore. It doesn't seem to cast any of those tones and looks good when you put other strong colors against it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here