Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I dispose of unused gallons/quarts of paint?

Posted by pinegrove (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 07 at 9:58

I would like to get rid of all the "wrong" color paint cans we have in our home. We have many, many gallons and quarts of unused paint. Mostly due to indeciveness regarding color choices.

How should I dispose of it? Is there a place that would take the paint so that they can use it?

Thank you,

Kimberly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I dispose of unused gallons/quarts of paint?

Donations/Re-use are one route...
Scouting organizations, Churches, Civic-Clubs, Schools(??), Habitat for Humanity...

Check if your city has a hazardous-waste facility.

Also, hardware stores usually have "paint-hardener". Pour a packet into your paint, & it solidifies into an inert "chunk". OR, pour layers into a cardboard box (lined with plastic first), & let each layer dry. Kinda like making "Paint-lasagna"!!

Faron

o

I've taken lots to Habitat ReStore. You get it off your hands and can write it off as a charitable deduction, they make a few $ and someone gets some nice paint for their house at a steal ;) Everybody wins!

Link below to Re-Store to see if there's one in your area...

Here is a link that might be useful: Habitat ReStore Directory

o

Latex can be thrown in the trash. It is NOT a hazardous waste.

Alkyd (oil) IS a hazardous waste and you can donate it, dry it out (leave the can open for a few days-weeks, or mix it with kitty litter and allow to dry and then in the regular trash), or take it to a hazardous waste collection site.

o

Kimberly, I usually donate mine to Habitat ReStore, or it I have only small amounts I donate it to the Shop class at my son's high school. A few years ago, the shop students made the cutest 2' tall wood snowmen for their friends and families, and used the small amounts of paint they had for decorating them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here