Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shelf life of Farrow & Ball Paint

Posted by skitdel (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:57

We bought 2 gallons of Estate Emulsion a bit over a year and a half ago for a project that was put on hold at the last minute. The paint has been stored unopened in a fairly even temperature basement during that time.

I know that F&B recommends that the paint be used within 6 months of purchase. But does anyone with experience with this paint think that it's still OK to use if it looks and smells OK when we open it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shelf life of Farrow & Ball Paint

I have seen F and B opened after the recommended use by date that looked like it had grown mold. I have also seen it be just fine, and cannot account for the difference. The bad was Pale Powder (Estate Emulsion) and the fine was Radicchio (same). If it looks and smells fine, I would use it.

o

Thanks. We opened and used the Green Blue this morning. It seemed to be in remarkably good shape - looked and smelled like fresh Farrow and Ball paint and had surprisingly little separation.

We'll see how the gallon of Clunch fared next week.

o

I would have them shaken first.

o

Regardless of the brand, do NOT have the paint shaken before checking inside the can. I have had old paint grow some kind of stuff on top that had no off smell to it. Had I shaken before opening to check it would have mixed in and Id have not known about it till too late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here