Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiddleddd

Already primed doors....is that the way to go?

fiddleddd
13 years ago

We need to buy doors and trim for an entire 1800 sq. ft. home. When I found out we could buy pre-primed doors, my ears perked up thinking how much time that would save me in painting. My husband paints the walls, and I do the trim. :-)

I want a really professional look, so when I paint I always sand the door first and then lightly sand after each coat. I find that it makes a difference. I wonder if I'll get as good of a result with the pre-primed door.

Would you recommend using pre-primed woodwork? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Hollow-core masonite doors always come already primed. Solid-core or wood doors with a pre-primed option are a good idea if you're painting anyway; the manufacturer can't say that they warped because they were left unfinished for too long.
    The thing is, they won't be solid wood, they will likely be a lumber core with a masonite (hardboard) "veneer" glued on. That's what the last bunch of them that I installed turned out to be. If you really want an all-wood door, you now must order stain-grade (and they're veneered as well).
    Casey

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Personally, I do not like pre-primed woodwork because it is garbage wood, melded together with finger joints and then primed with watered down garbage primer. Over time, the joints move and open up. But, the pre primed wood is cheap which is why everyone likes it and it looks good for a while. When we paint new homes, we actually prime over the pre primed wood with high quality primer...yes, I know it sounds silly to apply primer to primer, but the industry is what it is. I think pre primed doors are okay though.

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay.....so what I'm hearing you say is.....not to buy pre-primed woodwork, but the doors may be a possibility. ?? We definitely don't want hollow doors, but we haven't decided on whether to get solid core or wood. We're going to go and look tomorrow. Which would you buy if it were your home and money was no object? (just hypothetically speaking) :-) I've heard real wood has more of a chance of warping. But is that really a problem? We live in Indiana, and we use AC or heat to keep our home at a moderate temperature.

sombreuil_mongrel, you're saying that even doors sold as wood doors are NOT solid wood? They're veneer? Can that really be the case?

Thanks for your replies!

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Paintguys 1st post is GOLDEN.

Low quality primers are used.
    * Even the best of primers are shot about a month after they're applied.
    * Reason? Many primers get too dried-out and brittle to hold paint very well at all.
    * Plus...sitting around in warehouses, trucking/handling...dirt, etc., also work against pre-primed materials.
    * For the BEST results...scuff-sand and reprime with a good primer like 123 or C2-One.

Faron

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got our doors today......solid core Masonite doors, 2-panel Roman arch style. I was actually surprised at how solid they were. We were told to be sure to paint every surface on the door, including the top, bottom and hinge area.

We got primed, but this was a far cut above primed wood we saw in the big box stores. This lumber mill had quit carrying hollow-core doors because they didn't think they were a very good product, but they said we should get many years out of this solid core door.

I really loved these doors, so I hope we've made the right decision. Thank you all for your help!