Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry time between coats

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 9:35

A painter (as in guy-who-paints-for-a-living) told me that the second coat of paint can be applied as soon as the first coat is completely dry to the touch. He said that when paint companies specify on the can dry to the touch in 3 hours, recoat in 4 hours, they are adding in time for their protection. Any opinions on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry time between coats

Dry to the touch is acceptable for the second coat. If you're repainting one room, paint the trim and door, cut in the walls and roll. Apply the second coat to trim and door and by the time you're done with trim, it's safe to recoat the walls.

Air movement also helps, as long as you're not moving dust through the room.

o
RE: Dry time between coats

Once I was in a rush and did a second coat very soon after the first, the next morning I had a crackle finish!

I always wondered why exactly that happened? I can only guess not enough dry time between coats.

Luckily, it was very subtle and you had to get right up to the wall to see it, so I lived with it for 10 years! Till I finally repainted in order to sell the house. Repainting looked fine, covered the crackle without a trace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here