Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiddleddd

What do most use for ceiling paint?

fiddleddd
13 years ago

We're faced with priming and painting 1800 sq. ft. in a newly remodeled house we're down-sizing to.

We're rather traditional in that we've always just bought the ceiling white flat paint for our ceilings. That's what we're likely to do this time as well, unless you can convince me otherwise. :-) What do you recommend?

Our ceilings are smooth and 8' high. We plan to put a taupe/tan/beige color on the wall, and we'll have white painted woodwork and doors. Our kitchen cabinets are a bisque color, and we're putting in wood floor (medium shade hickory).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I use flat wall paint - mostly tinted very pale blue, sometimes a lighter shade of the wall paint.

• parrotsinthekitchen
    13 years ago

Benjamin Moore "Super White" flat. Looks great. I don't like "ceiling white" - I find it doesn't cover well, is difficult to work with, and if you ever have to patch an area later, will not match.

• randita
    13 years ago

I have tried lots of options and the best I've found is SW Superpaint-flat-Extra White.

The reason I like it so much is it covers well, doesn't dry really fast so you can roll into wet areas without disturbing the finish and it blends well with no streaking.

• randita
    13 years ago

I have tried lots of options and the best I've found is SW Superpaint-flat-Extra White.

The reason I like it so much is it covers well, doesn't dry really fast so you can roll into wet areas without disturbing the finish and it blends well with no streaking.

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

flat it is, then! Thanks! And not one of you uses ceiling paint, so we won't either. Good point about not being able to match it down the road.

Sherwin Williams appeals to me because this weekend they're having a 40% off sale on all of their paints. And we have used superpaint before, and it worked well. We'll start with one gallon and see if we like it before buying enough for the entire house! So I'll keep your suggestions....thanks so much!

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I've just done a mud room/laundry room ceiling in Mythic's Warm Welcome (flat), which has a creamy tinge. I had a few qualms at first, as it initially went on -- and dried on a piece of paper -- quite a bit whiter and brighter than the chip on the company's card. But dried, it works beautifully with the rest of the room, which has a bluestone floor and walls painted in Mythic's Hush. One of the things I like about Mythic is that it is low VOC and has relatively little odor, or at least an odor I don't find particularly objectionable.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I really need to think about what I write before I post. The color is brighter than the chip, but after drying on a complete ceiling above a complete room done in Hush, the creamy tones in the paint became evident.

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lynxe.....thanks. Yes, I know of the Mythic paints. I'm not particularly concerned about the VOC issue because we can still open the windows for ventilation, and we're not yet living in the house, so there will be plenty of time for out-gassing or whatever before we move in.

I read in a recent Consumer Reports that the government has now restricted the amount of VOC's in ALL paints....so at least that's a step in the right direction. I wonder if there is a source that has a list of manufacturers with the VOC ratings of their paints. I'll have to snoop around.

Anyway, thanks for your input.