Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OIl Primer v. Latex Primer

Posted by chardie (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 8:40

If I use some of each type of primer will I be able to tell the different once the topcoat is on? I'm painting the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OIl Primer v. Latex Primer

No if both primers are quality primers with equal enamel holdout. Yes, if one primer is cheap and lacks enamel holdout equal to the other.

What primers are you considering?

o

I love learning new terms:

Enamel holdout can be measured as a difference in observed gloss of the topcoat over a primer relative to the gloss of the same topcoat over a smooth sealed surface.

My favorite one this month is paint holiday, which is nothing like what it seems.

o

Both are Kilz. I'm a little concerned because I bought a Martha Stewart washable kind (I think semi-gloss).

o

The Kilz are equal performers.

The concern with losing gloss is usually attributed to painting over flat paint. Dead flat paint absorbs some of the sheen from the topcoat, causing an uneven appearance when dry.

Primers can vary, so there is always a risk when using two types.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here