Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obrionusa

Super Paint versus Promar 200

obrionusa
12 years ago

S/W is having their 40% off sale this weekend and Im thinking of painting inside of my house soon. I will be doing the living, dining, hallways. I can get contractor pricing on promar 200 for $22. Super Paint on sale would be $29. Is it worth the extra $7 to go with the super paint?

I will be painting with latex eggshell or satin. The house is 35 years old and its drywall finish.

Comments (7)

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks brushworks! I also should add Im not a beginner painter and def not a professional. I painted quite a bit throughout the years. I used S/W for the first time in my bedroom at the lakehouse. It was promar 200, I liked painting with it and loved the price. My neighbor there is a painting contractor and I got his price on it. Im now going to take advantage of the sale this weekend and stock up for when I paint my home residence. I wasnt as worried about my lakehouse since I only use it on weekends throughout the summer.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Is it worth the extra $7 to go with the super paint?

Yes. Super Paint is one of the best values on the market especially with a sale - price point is great for what you get in the can. Do eggshell, not satin. I think the satin is a snidge too shiny in Super Paint. YMMV.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Guys! Since I already have everything out I think I will give the ceilings a one coat and leave it finish. What would you go with on the ceilings? Its popcorn textured if that makes a differnce.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

IMO, not painting the ceiling when you paint the walls is like spending 45 minutes getting ready to leave for work in the morning but skip brushing your teeth. You're nicely pulled and put together except for that last detail that no one *really sees* but boy howdy can it ever be an important detail -- left undone, can ruin the whole look you got goin' on.

So, YAY! for you - good choice giving the ceiling a fresh coat!

Just because it's the ceiling is no reason to skimp on quality. Cheaper paints degrade quicker than better quality and can actually release from the substrate in teeny tiny molecule form -- a.k.a. dust.

I've had many situations where a fresh coat of quality paint on the ceiling cut down on overall fine *white* dust in the room -- you have to dust less frequently.

I would choose Super Paint for the ceiling too except in flat.

• obrionusa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Super Paint it is! Would that be suitable for my bathroom too or should I go with the bath paint?

• Michael
    12 years ago

Use a bathroom paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite