Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseychick

Matching Andersen "white"

Betsey Thompson
11 years ago

Our windows are Andersen pre-finished white. It looks a bit grey to us, but want to know if anyone here has matched that color for using on the rest of the trim. Were you pleased with the result? If anyone has a formula that matches, it would be great if you can share.

Thanks!

Comments (46)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You are not the only people seeing gray in your white Anderson windows.

If you don't get the formula here, your options are to remove a part of the window and take to a paint store or start bringing grayish white chips home to match. Is this for inside or outside trim? From my limited experience, close-enough-good-enough is the case with matching whites outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogspot on Anderson gray

• Betsey Thompson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, graywings! It's for the interior windows.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

You can also bring a window or piece of the clad material into the paint store to have them match it (they may even have a formula there already too) or if Anderson has some brochures there may be a swatch there too you can have matched.

• Stephen Zewe
    8 years ago

I have Anderson dbl hung windows throughout my house. They were manufactured in 1982. Recently I have discovered the outside white paint finish has begun to split. Anderson replaced one sash back in 2002 but will no longer due to warranty expiration. I too am looking for Anderson white and have been told by Anderson that Sherwin Williams has their colors, BUT, you have to buy a gallon for $60, heck I only need a quart at the most. I had Anderson send me a paint sample so we'll see if I can get someone to match it, knowing that it just may not match the rest of the windows.

• lislesinger
    7 years ago

We have the Andersen "White" which is an off-white (Colony White is their bright white), and I want to paint some window bars to match. I just spent some time on the phone with Andersen and they said to use Sherwin Williams and that they are listed in the National Account Database there under "Andersen White". The store clerk couldn't find it, but somebody higher up steered me to SW6196 "Frosty White". Available in their Pro Industrial line in 1 or 5 gallons.

• ryley3303
    6 years ago

Did you end up going with a trim to match the Anderson white? I am in the process of doing this too and it looks very gray to me. I'm worried that matching trim (SW Frosty White) to the Anderson White is too gray. What did you go with for door color, window trim, etc.? Thanks in advance.

• lislesinger
    6 years ago

We used the Sherwin Williams "Andersen White" for the window bars, which was a great match. Our contractor used a color called "Swiss Coffee" for the window and trim, which also seemed to match. I'm not sure which brand!

• Stephen Zewe
    6 years ago
    I commented earlier in 2015, I did not end up buying a gal at SW I took a sample in them and they mixed me up a quart, looks fine to me.
  • R Sallie
    5 years ago

What did everyone end up doing? I have a sample of frosty white, and it's so gray! The Sherwin Williams rep told me that I should use frosty white for the trim, and then she picked out a few colors for the interior. I wanted a white interior (it will be shiplap in in 3 seasons room), but I don't know how a brighter white will look with gray windows and trim! I don't understand why more people don't have this issue.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

I don't understand why more people don't have this issue.

They do.

Some days white windows feel like the bane of my existence.

They're in every room of the house, affect the interior and exterior color plans. Unless you choose to ignore them. Which is an option. But most people don't get to ignoring the darn things until they've been worn down and worn out trying to figure out what to do with them.

And people choose white windows because they think "they go with everything".

They don't.

Whenever I have a say in window color choice, I specify bronze.

None of that helps you because you already have white windows. Just sayin' you are not alone in the struggle because it's real.

• R Sallie
    5 years ago

Thanks for understanding, Lori! I had NO idea. I have not yet ordered the windows. I wanted to figure out colors for the tile, trim, shiplap and windows before I order anything. Our sliding door will be staying put and it's an Andersen Sandtone, which is a nice greige. I'm considering using it for the windows, and then trimming them in SW Pure White. (We have a horrible oak trim throughout the rest of the house). I thought that this would be an easy decision for the build. It is not!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Nope. It's a lot of work but you'll figure it out. :)

• jgolightly
    5 years ago
    My husband is a painter and specifically asks for Anderson White at Sherwin Williams. It is a fantastic white for trim!
  • Mary King
    4 years ago

My 1989 Andersens also are loosing paint on the outside - mostly the panels below the window glass. If I use the Andersen White from Sherwin Willams, what type of paint would be best to get a similar sheen? Will I need a separate primer and will it take two coats? Thank you...

• Stephen Zewe
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have been using SW's paint for my dbl hung Anderson windows which were also about the same age as yours. At the time I was told by SW that I had to by a gal which I did not need, so I asked the guys to try and match as close as possible. They did a nice job in the match. I lightly sanded the exterior frames (220), primed with SW exterior primer (I think is was oil based) then went over that with the SW's satin matched water based paint. I was satisfied with the results. FYI, I removed the panel from the window frame, you can access instructions from the web. I just left window open but did this over the summer.

• mo mo
    4 years ago

We are building and have used Anderson A series windows in the standard Anderson white color. We thought the Birch color was too stark a white - however, their standard white is definitely a gray white. The Ben Moore paint store has mixed a color to match the Anderson white but I am wondering if it is going to be ok to paint all of our indoor house trim this "gray white" color? Hoping it doesn't look like a dirty white. We also have white kitchen cabinets that will be installed soon. Anyone have any similar experiences? Wondering how you handled this? I really don't want to have all the trim around the windows & large sliding doors repainted if I can help it. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Karen
    4 years ago

mo mo,

We are in the exact same place. We have windows on order that are Andersen white on the interior. I too am very concerned Andersen white is will be too gray when used on the trim. Was even considering letting the windows be a their own color and continue to paint the trim with a less gray color. Would also love some advice from anyone!

jkt107,

Thanks for your picture of SW Pearly White. That does truly look beautiful...and an outstanding match. (Your house also looks awsome...btw!) I'm going to try to sample that color for my interior application. Thanks for sharing!

• jkt107
    4 years ago
    Thank you, Karen! It's still under construction, and we are so happy with how it's turning out. I'll try to get a pic of our interior trim with the windows the next time I'm over there. We used SW Alabaster inside.
  • K S
    4 years ago

jkt107 did u use SW Alabaster on the inside walls and trim? Also exterior wise do you have a standard white garage door and if so how does the SW Pearly white look against the exterior? I am concerned with competing shades of white. Thank you in advance.

• jkt107
    4 years ago

KS, We did use SW Alabaster on the inside trim. I think it looks perfectly fine on the windows. That was something I was concerned about, but once my trim was painted, it was a non-issue. I truly don't even notice a difference now. On the garage, my painter went ahead and painted the doors as well. We left them the standard white on our old house, and it was something that bugged me slightly. But not enough to do anything about it, haha.

• K S
    4 years ago

Jkt107 I should have asked what seri s windows do u have? We are looking at 400. Also your interior walls and trim are Alabaster what color did u paint your cabinets? We were planning pure white to contrast with the alabaster walls and trim and windows and our interior doors will be mindful gray. Think I am going to have the garage door painted even if it requires future repainting or it will drive me crazy. Man U may have saved me hours and days of torment. Thanks again

• jkt107
    4 years ago

KS, I'm so glad I was able to save you some trouble! We have 400 series, also. Our cabinets are alabaster because we used a slightly darker color on the walls, SW Natural Choice. One thing you may want to keep in mind, is that you probably will want to have a sample door made and look at it next to the alabaster. Your cabinets will probably come out a little bit darker than the plain white, due to the lacquer that the cabinet makers use. My alabaster cabinets are a little bit darker than my alabaster wall trim. You'll just want to be sure that you have as much contrast as you want between your walls and your cabinets. Good luck with your build! We moved in in May and I'm so glad to be finished!!

• K S
    4 years ago

Jkt107 I know you had to be so excited to move in. We have been on this journey for almost 3 years and probably have 9 months to a year left. So your help is so appreciated. The interior pictures are tremendous help. I notice shiplap in them did u paint alabaster or natural choice? After your responses and seeing your choices and that Pearly choice is the next shade up from alabaster it helped me stick am with my original choice alabaster all the way inside and out trim and walls so just curious as to your shiplap color. We are doing a lot of shiplap along with board and batten on the exterior and two rooms inside. In relation to your windows did u do the grids inside and out, inside only, or between the glass? Will definitely post pictures to this thread as it relates to Andersen White Windows to pass it on. Again your willingness to share information is so greatly appreciated.

• jkt107
    4 years ago

KS, we have shiplap in the mudroom, and that is alabaster. I just love white on shiplap. Our windows have the grids in and out. I believe it's called simulated divided light. They are casements, and we are very happy with them. Hopefully, the rest of your build will go quickly! Please let me know if you need to see pics of anything else, and good luck.

• K S
    4 years ago

Jkt107 u don’t happen to be on Instagram? If so would love to follow you and see your build

• jkt107
    4 years ago

Hi, KS, I am, but it's mostly pics of my dogs. I haven't really put my house on social media other than a few pics on Houzz here and there. Here are a few. Let me know if you'd like to see anything else. I hope your build is going well!

• mejudge
    3 years ago

Please share paint colors anyone has used with Anderson interior white trim...thx!!

• Steve Sperry
    2 years ago

Here is the Andersen color chart (sadly it is only for Sherwin Williams and not Benjamin Moore)

https://helpcenter.andersenwindows.com/aw/s/article/Matching-Andersen-Window-and-Door-Stain-and-Paint-Colors

• afsauve
    2 years ago

We went with SW Reserved White to try and match the Andersen 400 series windows. Kind of regretting it now since I think it’s too grey for trim even though we chose that color in an attempt to be a little less grey than Frosty White. It’s still pushed the trim into a strange greyish white zone in my opinion that makes it hard to match to wall colors and other whites in the house. Very frustrating that Andersen goes with such a ‘grey’ white when people that are ordering white windows...want WHITE windows!

• 2maddy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone can help. We just had Anderson French Sliders installed and the exterior is suposed to be white but is light gray. the interiors are definately white. Not sure repainting the exterior is a good idea. Assume Anderson will be of zero help. Any suggestions about what we can do? Thanks much!

• Steve Sperry
    2 years ago

@2maddy, the exterior is going to get dirty the second the elements hit it anyway. So true white wouldn't remain such but for more than a moment. I'd suggest just painting your trim the same Andersen white... once dust and such get on them, that's the color they'll be anyway.

• afsauve
    2 years ago

We switched and went with SW Spare White. We like this much better since it still has a hint of grey but without being overwhelming. Comes out looking more white and less dingy white like Reserved White was. After all of this I would recommend not trying to match the Andersen Windows too much and just going with a white you will be happy with in all trim areas.

• cmweb
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried BM Swiss coffee with Andersen white windows? Struggling with this trim/window decision!

• Jill G
    2 years ago

Oh my. So sorry to hear others are disappointed in the Andersen White. Deciding on a trim has been a nightmare. I will try the SW color suggestions and post what I decide.

• Theresa
    2 years ago

@Jill G what did you decide? We are now in the same boat, trying to match color on a new build!

• HU-165397057
    last year

Our Anderson 400 series "white windows" (simulated lite double hungs) are already installed. Now i need to pick a trim color. My ktichen cabinets were set to be Simply White but now I may need to change that because of these "white windows"? PLEASE Help. :(

• kbrown45
    last year

HU, i certainly hope you didnt change your cabinette color. theres so little white area in the Anderson windows, the trim can be a different white than that ”gray white” folks think they need to match.

• HU-392783324
    9 months ago

Just had the house painted last fall with SW inkwell and bright white trim also by SW. This spring we ordered and had Anderson doors installed. I brought my paint samples into the store for a color match . Like everyone else in this thread, once they were installed I realized that the door trim is more of a grey with blue undertones. I am mortified!! Our doors are not standard sizes being that we live in a house over 100 years old so we had to buy expensive custom doors. VERY disappointed. Anderson Corp must be aware of this and should address it. Can the doors be painted? I hate them enough I deciding if I should have them pulled and go with another company? I do NOT want to have my trim repainted grey to match the doors. Shame on Anderson doors for not addressing this issue. Sorry about the rant =[

• P Wilson
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

For those trying to match Anderson White, just go to a Sherwin Williams store and ask for Andersen White. It's that easy. But if you want the color codes, they are provided by Andersen in an online chart: Andersen White

• House Six Design
    8 months ago

Yes, you can go to the Sherwin Williams store to request. Unfortunately, the color Anderson chose for their white is terrible! It’s waaaay too grey! I chose to go with an entirely different SW white trim color that coordinates perfectly. It truly is a shame the Anderson white is such a horrible color of white!

• shawnerica
    6 months ago

House Six Design- which SW white did you use & can you add a pic here? Do you love it?!

• shawnerica
    6 months ago

Aha, I see… a gray tone wall paint coordinates with the Andersen grills. Good thinking!

• House Six Design
    6 months ago

SW-7006 on trim/doors & SW Agreeable grey on walls ended up being perfect for my client’s new construction home! We loved it!!

• shawnerica
    6 months ago

I’m also thinking that SW Pure White would be a good choice.

• S M
    2 months ago

@P Wilson - those are formulas on how to mix. Those aren't color codes. It's a useless document.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz