Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prabha100

Stamping designs on walls

prabha100
13 years ago

My first gardenweb post ever! We're redoing a small bathroom and I want to have a pattern on the wall but don't want to have to hang wall paper. I saw a piece in This Old House, Oct 2010, I think, where they used rubber stamps to stamp a pattern on the wall. That sounds neat! Has anybody done this and where can one buy large enough stamps in the US? The piece only listed a UK source. Thanks a ton!

Comments (7)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I've seen this done on decorating shows using hand carved or cut stamps. A stencil would be an alternative.

How large a stamp are you looking for?

• dilettante_gw
    13 years ago

Stamping or stenciling would be a great alternative to wallpaper -- cheaper, easier, and no peeling!

I've been thinking about doing some stenciling in my house (when I get some other projects done). I hadn't really considered using stamps, although now that I think about it, my mother used stamps in a bathroom in a summer cottage we had when I was a kid. I think she made her own stamps, but I'm not sure out of what. It came out well, though, and gave it just the right rustic/primitive/cottage-y look.

One advantage of stencils over stamps would be that you could do multi-colored designs. Also, I think there's a greater variety of ready-made stencils available, including some historical designs (colonial, Arts & Crafts, Shaker, etc.). Try looking on eBay for stamps and stencils. Just be sure that the scale of the design is right - it can be hard to tell from photos.

Is this the article on wall stamping that you mentioned?

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Wall Stamping Article

• izzie
    13 years ago

What a neat idea. I hate wallpaper but the stamping looks like a good idea. I found a site that sells some good options. The one from the previous post stamps are from England.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot potatoe stamps

• prabha100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Izzie for the link to Hot Potatoes. Their stamps look smaller than what I'm looking for, but I'll poke around their site. I'd like stamps that are at least 4 inches across. I'd probably go for circular ones.
    Stenciling is a great idea too. And it might be easier to find large enough stencils.

Prabha

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

WOWIE! Dilettante, I love those English stamps -- especially the Classic and the Christmas ones. To me, well worth the extra postage to get them.

Prabha, looking at a couple of the English stamps I liked, I noticed you can get them in three sizes, the largest is 4 inches, so maybe that would work for you after all. They are gorgeous. Here's the actual site

Here is a link that might be useful: English stamps

• prabha100
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dog Lover. (I love dogs too!) English Stamps does have the best looking stamps around. I was hoping to avoid paying more for postage, but if I can't find US source stamps that are as good looking, I'd spring for the postage.

• acornsales
    13 years ago

stamping is actually good idea ..... try acornsales.com for designer and art rubber stamps, for sure you will find the large size rubber stamp , stilll you can order the size you want , they have niche in manufacturing custom made rubber stamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art Rubber Stamps

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions