Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint chipping from fence

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 4:07

At my Dads lake house there is a 4'X8' fence at the side of the drive to keep someone from hitting the well. Its been there for over 25 years. Others have painted it but it always ends up looking the same in a few short years. I scraped, power washed and scraped again. I noticed a lot of green coming off while power washing. I now have a quart of Sherwin Williams exterior latex primer. My question how long do I let it dry after power washing before priming and do you think I have a chance of it sticking? How long to let the primer dry before painting? There is a lot of morning dew this time of year too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint chipping from fence

Wood that is exposed to the elements for that many years is doing well to hold paint for a few short years. If it were my project, I'd install a new vinyl fence and be done forever.

o

A vinyl fence will be my next step if this doesnt hold. Im glad you took the words right out of my mouth. I would like to do it now, but dont have the time or money:)Only here for a week between sealing the deck, winterizing the boats and installing a tub surround.

o

Yuck to vinyl fences. I don't know where you live, but you might be better off delaying this project until spring.

The can of primer will specify how much dry time you need to give before repainting. Power washing will push water into the wood fibers, so it could be a while before the wood dries out.

Here's my followup question for the experts: would an oil-based primer be a better choice in this case?

o

No primer is a better choice over moisture laden, softened wood. It's dead, bury it. :)

A vinyl fence it is!

o

Assuming the wood is neither moisture-laden nor softened, would an oil-based primer be a better choice than a water-based one?

o

If it's a sound substrate, an acrylic primer (Gripper) is a comparable choice. There is no gotcha answer on this one. Any quality primer works, indoors or out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here