Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liketolearn_gw

pine and cedar t&g beadboard ... paint or stain?

liketolearn
17 years ago

We purchased some 3/4" T&G for wainscoting and I'm looking for a finishing solution ...

CEDAR T&G:

~ We plan to use the cedar in the Master Bathroom and DH has reluctantly agreed to it painted white.

~ We also plan to use cedar in the 2FL bathroom and I've already promised DH he could use a clear stain.

We compromised on this one as I really wanted white beadboard in Master Bathroom and so I agreed to give DH "free reign" on 2FL bathroom (meaning clear finish cedar).

PINE T&G:

~ We plan to use the pine T&G at the mudroom entrance hall.

~ And we plan to use the pine T&G in the laundry room. The laundry room will have maple cabinets in a clear natural finish.

These 2 areas are located close but not next to each other.

A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION:

~ DH is pushing hard for his favorite of a clear finish so you can see all the wood grain. He likes a clear finish on all wood (no stain or paint). He says the knots will bleed and ruin the paint.

~ I'm just feeling it's too much with most of the house having red oaking flooring (and stairs) in a clear natural finish, and whitewashed hickory cabinets or clear natural finish maple cabinets. I'd like some variety, texture, and some COLOR!!!

So I'm looking for a compromise. I see that some companies offer colored stains that give color (greens, blues, etc) and allow the knots and grain to show through. I think it could be a good compromise for the pine T&G. Must mention too that the pine T&G has lots of knots of varying sizes. Not usually sought after but DH loves the wood grain and knots!

Has anyone used these colored stains?

Any suggestions on finishing pine T&G?

Would love to see pictures!

Comment (1)