Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphysf

Oak Threshold � Sealer? How to protect / treat?

murphysf
11 years ago

Oak Threshold � Sealer? How to protect / treat?

Hello

I just had a new vinyl floor installed in my kitchen. I removed the oak threshold so that the installer could run the vinyl under the threshold. The threshold cracked in a couple of places when I removed it.

I just went to the lumber yard and purchased a nice new threshold. It is a beautiful piece of oak and measures 4-5/8" and I 5/8" thick. I would like to treat the oak threshold before I install it and was wondering what I should use? A sealer? I don�t want to stain or paint it or change the color, just and to seal it to protect it. What are the better products on the market for this? Sikkens?

The threshold is an exterior door to my kitchen. The onside part is sheltered and the threshold never sees rain or direct sunlight as there is an enclosed (tunnel like) pathway to the door. Nevertheless I would like to protect it as it could get wet as I often hose off the area around it.

Thanks

Comment (1)

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Use a good OIL-based Polyurethane that is rated for FLOOR use.

>>>> The CRUCIAL part here-

Coat the underside too!!!!!!
    (if it's not metal underneath...)

* If it were mine, & knowing-what-I-know-now, I'd do 4 or 5 coats...on ALL sides!
    * If it gets frequent traffic, plan on couple maintenance coats every 2 or 3 years!
    * Pay attention to any caulking requirements b4 it's installed.
    * In some homes, a sill-seal gasket may help too, b4 the threshold goes down.

Faron