Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the truth about VOCs

Posted by beckyg75 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 0:10

Can anyone point me to information from a reputable source about VOCs in paint - specifically how long they are emitted after painting?

The guy at the paint store told me that there is a lot of marketing gimmick involved, and that basically the VOCs are emitted only until the paint fully dries, and then very little after that.

He even thought it was not worth upgrading in the child's room! He could make more money by selling me on BM Natura, but he said, no, the cheaper stuff is fine, as long as you & the kids aren't the one applying it, that we shouldn't worry about VOCs (we won't move in until a few weeks after the painting is finished; this is a new house for us.)

I tried to google low-VOCs but found a lot of misleading info.

Please, if anyone has a good link to an article that is from a reputable source, I would like to read it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the truth about VOCs

It largely depends on the VOC source in the coating. There are literally dozens of different types of VOC that might find their way into a coating. Some VOC's flash off quickly and are gone in a matter of hours - others can linger for several days or longer. This is why emissions standards like CHPS and Greenguard exist. In order to pass, the coating must have very low emissions as measured by sensitive equipment in closed chambers. Certainly there is one thing you can believe, the lower the starting VOC level, the lower the total emissions released over time. For him to profess indifference between Natura and a conventional coating is simply stupid. It's unfortunate that he was so misinformed but frankly, to your point, misinformation on this topic abounds. Since you are not moving in for a few weeks, rest assured that your paint will be fully cured by then anyway (however, if possible, try to ensure that the painted rooms to get some fresh air during this period as it speeds up the curing process)

o

Hey Paintguy1, thank you for the response.

I didn't buy anything yet, but am thinking that because we spend more time in the bedroom than any other room (8 hours sleeping) and b/c we sleep with our windows closed, that I would pick Natura anyway for the bedrooms. The rest of the place, I guess I'll use the hard stuff and air it out well before moving in.

o

Very good info @ PQI...

One link below:

This link is good too, also @ PQI: http://www.paintquality.com/going-green/environment/health-issues.html

Enjoy!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: PQI VOC info....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here