Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

correcting washed out blue

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

Using BM "Constellation" I couldn't figure out why the paint in the kitchen looked nothing like the sample; the lights weren't installed yet, and in natural daylight it is washed out, bleh gray-blue. The direct natural light is from the north. Midday sunlight comes through a large doorway from an adjacent room. The paint doesn't look any different then, either
The cabinents are a 'soft white', floors stained pine,trim BM white ice, counters azul platino.

Eventually, The lights were installed:cree soft white 4" in 'boxes' b/c not enough room above ceiling for cans/

In a tiny section of hallway, the electrician put in, temporarily, bright white cree bulbs without the cover.s

Suddenly, I saw the beautiful blue I planned for the kitchen. The different light made all the difference.

In sum,
In the kitchen's natural light, the blue doesn't read as blue.
With lights full on or dimmed, it still doesn't read blue
Where the light is 'bright white' the paint is perfect

Problems:
We own all those soft white bulbs. The boxes are gone
I think the bright whites would be too much in the kitchen. There are too many fixtures and even with the lights dimmed I think the bright white would be harsh.
There is one coat of paint. We are waiting for the second one. I don't want to go ahead and live with an insipid color

Starting with the general: what color paint will work ? Can another color or tint be added to Constellation be so that it will read a truer blue?

Or could an another coat of a different color be applied over constellation to get what I want?

Any and all suggestions most welcome.

Ironically, we painted a bedroom upstairs with Lafayette Blue that is so intense I keep the door closed. I'm only half kidding when I say maybe I should switch ;paints for the rooms.

This post was edited by idabean on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 0:31

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz