Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie46_gw

What to do, using what product, in which order.

bobbie46
12 years ago

Hello everyone. Please give me suggestions on how to paint the interior of my 1930's plaster/sheetrock house with an addition with sheetrock walls and ceiling. Added on to our house. New ceilings and walls are sheetrock which have just been taped and floated (smooth finish, supposed to be level 5). Now, sheetrock contractor suggests we hire a painter to apply a primer of "acrylic 555". He estimates 7, 5 gal buckets at $40 a bucket. Then paint each wall and ceiling with 2 coats. Some of the house is very old. I was planning on painting (rolling) the walls and ceilings of the laundry, pantry and MBR closet with a white latex. I have been painting my own homes for 40 years. I don't paint for fun so there are a number of years between projects. The bid to paint only the ceilings and walls of our project is more than I want to spend, So, despite my decreasing agility, it looks as though I (and some of our adult children) are the painters. Many questions:

Is "acrylic paint", 555 from someone a new product? Do my newly taped and floated rooms need this? What is it?

One painter wants to tape off the woodwork, spray the walls/ceiling and then paint the woodwork.

Another painter wants to spray the trim and cabinets and come back and roll walls and ceiling.

In my fitter days, I would sponge the sheetrock, prime with a latex and finish with a latex. Then, I would tackle the trim.

Floors are due in two weeks.

What to do? Using what product? In which order? Please advise.All input is very much appreciated.

Comments (2)