Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matching colors - one paint brand to another

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 23:14

I had a bad experience and hope to save others some money. My employer is painting the interior of our office building. I really like one of the colors and wanted to use it in my home. I got a paint chip from the building manger. It's PPG paints but I wanted to use Lowes'/Valspar paint instead.

I took it to Lowes and had the paint manager use their color match computer. I brought the gallon home and painted a wall. When it dried, it looked nothing like the wall at work, so I thought a second coat might help. Even after a second coat it didn't even come close to matching!

Today I went to PPG. The manager looked up my employer and gave me the exact paint they are using. He said the different paint brands have different base formulas, so even if you computer color match, the paint might not look at all the same on a wall. He also said the different "levels" of paint in even the same brand can look different. I got exactly the same level so this time I should be OK.

This was a painful lesson - both $38 for the paint painful, the time I spent painting, a quart of Kilz primer to cover up the color I don't like, and $20 for the new gallon. The good news is PPG gave me a discount because my employer has bought so much paint there!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matching colors - one paint brand to another

Easy problem to rectify
Just say NO to big box stores and paint
This is exactly why, the people working there do not have a clue as to what they are doing
Buy your'e paint at a paint store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here