Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickysnacker_gw

Which white to use for cabinets

snickysnacker
16 years ago

Hi,

I have all white appliances and I am going to be repainting my currently honey oak cabinets with Cabinet Coat. I have looked at a vast array of whites. Does anyone have any suggestions on BM whites to use? I was considering BM Dove White but I really like SW Greek Villa a lot on the swatch that I have.

I am in the process of painting my walls SW Fired Brick, if that matters.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Comments (14)

• steve-va
    16 years ago

If you haven't used CC before enjoy the runs, drips & errors if you aren't a good painter. I finally tried it myself & was able to get "decent" results but someone who I suggested it to that is not a professional painter said they hate me now....lol! You can't put this stuff on too heavy. I suggest trying it out on something else besides your cabinets so you can get a feel for how to apply it.

All of the "environmentalists" painters here swear by it but I personally feel that my oil based paint jobs have a superior finish. As with many of the heavy acrylics if you don't get it perfect on the first try & have to go back & brush out a drip then the brush stroke will clearly show.

Enjoy it & good luck!

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes!! My confidence is waning!!

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Why?!?!?
    You'll do fine!
    As Steve said, practice on a similiar piece/type of wood.
    * Experiment if you want to sand the primer or not, &
    * Brushing on a good, even coat of the CC/ACE-CC.

The first step is the hardest, but soon your neighbors will want to hire you for their cabs!!

Faron
    You WILL be posting pics won't you...?!??!!

• steve-va
    16 years ago

Don't worry snicky. It won't be long for others here to tell you I am wrong & then you will have more people supporting CC & that will make you feel better when you use it. So go ahead & use it & disregard my advise.

Have Fun!

• blueenough
    16 years ago

Okay, steve-va, I know sticky and I both are wondering what you use if you don't use cabinet coat. Could you please explain. Thanks

• Michael
    16 years ago

There is no reason to be afraid of CC or other waterborne paints. Oils run too!

Snicky, would you like my FREE Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing Booklet? If so, email me.

Michael

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I will being posting pix if the end result is a good one. Michael, I will be emailing you shortly.
    Can I get a Corona Chinex brush at a big box store? I dont remember even seeing that brand there, but, maybe I wasnt looking specifically for it.
    Still undecided on which white to go with, but I will be starting this whole undertaking next week.
    Thanks for the advice and support, everyone.

• Michael
    16 years ago

Snicky,

NO. Box stores tend to sell the average quality brush.

Michael

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Snicky,

Corona's aren't typically available to "big-boxes". It's by choice of the Corona company. If brushes THAT good were available at the "orange-box", etc., nobody would realize it, and the brand would suffer.
    * Hacks & some D-I-Y-ers wouldn't realize it, and start "blaming the brush and/or the paint" for something that isn't the brushes fault.
    * Kind of a strange concept...I know!
    * Same reasoning that C2 will NEVER end up in a "big-box".
    * Quality control AT THE SALES LEVEL usually suffers a lot, and there goes the impression of the brand.
    * However...Purdys' & Woosters' are available at some chains I believe. These are good brushes.

Faron

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK- the hunt for the perfect brush shall begin. Maybe I will find it at ACE hardware??? I sure hope so!!
    I did buy 2 Purdy brushes at a big box but I thought I read in another post that the Chinex was way better than the nylon/poly one.

• Michael
    16 years ago

IMO, most hardware stores won't have a Chinex brush of quality. Why? Most are behind times when it comes to painting and are catering to the DIY customer, not the pro.

BM stores usually have the Corona and E&J Chinex brushes.

Michael

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK- no BM store anywhere near me. I called 3 paint stores and there is only one that carries E+J Chinex. Is this as good as a Corona or at least comparable? Also, I read somewhere it's best to have 2 sets of 1 1/2" and 2" (one for primer and one for paint). Do you paint gurus think this is necessary? I dont know if I want to wait to order the Corona online. I am anxious to start this massive project!

• Kimberlyinva
    16 years ago

I did my trim in white CC coat. It looks lovely but I did have to spend a good amount of time with it...long time & I've painted my fair share of trim over the years. I'm just finishing off my cabinets this time using Stainmaster in white. It also is a lovely finish, rarely dripped, coated wonderfully too. I think I'm going to use again on the cabinets for the new house. I'm a messy cook, so far coffee, pizza sauce & red wine have cleaned right off even if missed & left over night. Just my 02.
    KAT

• snickysnacker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kimberlyinva. I get nervous hearing about how runny CC is. I want the cabinets to look good. I figure I am an average-good painter and when I hear about the complaints of others, I start wondering if there is another paint that is better to work with that yields great results. I am going to degrease and sand this weekend and prime/paint next week.