Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to prep asbestos siding for painting?

Posted by elvie (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 23:05

Hi there everyone. I am wondering if it is enough to use a garden hose to rinse and prep asbestos siding for painting. I am thinking a pressure washer might disturb the asbestos too much. And how do I clean off an area that is greenish where a shrub used to be?

Or is there a low setting on a pressure washer, a friend is loaning me one for the wood parts of the house.

And what brand and type of primer should I use?

All of your knowledge and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to prep asbestos siding for painting?

I think you should get, in writing, not from us, advice from someone who both knows what the law may say on this and who will be around when a third party may call you out on something you have done.

o

There is a primer from xim that we used on 'asphalt tile' (floor), which is known to contain asbestos:

http://www.ximbonder.com/products_detail.asp?id=33

then we painted over with BM porch and floor paint.

I wouldn't pressure wash. We just gently washed with a mild detergent (we used simple green, although in retrospect I would have used the - rubbing alcohol, - h20 - vinegar solution) and put on the XIM primer. It's held up really well (not totally perfect) and we are glad the crazy potential chemical (asbestos!) is sealed in, under this layer of primer/paint.

o

I recently moved into an asbestos-sided "fixer" and there's no budget for residing anytime soon. I had green mildew in several spots which I removed with bleach/Mr Clean and a scrubber brush. I also have areas of flaking paint which I am in the process of addressing - I wait for a windy day, wear a respirator, remove loose paint with a scraper (gently), and then feather the paint edges with sponge sander. Slow going, but the prep work is what will make the paint job last.

o

I've used XIM Bonder for other things and it's great, but for this situation, what about Peel Bond? Would one be preferable? I'm just thinking if there is any delamination on the siding, the "glue" properties of these primers would resolve that. I just don't know which one would work better.

o

Congratulations, asbestos/cement siding is durable, holds paint exceptionally well and is fire-proof. It is hard to top!

Pressure washers are over-rated. Use a long-handled brush and detergent. Use bleach for stuff that is growing (green). Use TSP with both if you can get it in your area. Use the carbonate TSP substitute if you can't find real (phosphate) TSP.

I am not kidding about the advantages of that siding. It does have some disadvantages. It breaks easily, but you can get non-asbestos replacements and some people sell off the removed stuff to those who need it. There are ample resources on the web to tell you how to work with it most safely. You should keep it wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here