Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color in west facing room

Posted by linzy383 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 22:48

Hi all,

What colors have you successfully used in a west facing room? We would like to use a color that is calm and relaxing, but I keep reading that a warmer "beige" is the answer. It's a yellow-beige right now, which I really don't like. I've attached a photo and would love some suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color in west facing room

Warm beige - whatever that means, huh? :)

Looks like you're looking for a blue? If so, have a look at Ben Moore's Gentle Gray 1626 or Iced Slate 2130-60. Both have the right nuance to work with west geo exposures.

o

I just painted my west facing master bedroom in BM Woodlawn Blue and I love it so far. It's very mellow and versatile.

o

Oh and my west facing living room is BM Blond Wood which is definitely a warm beige. I actually like it though. It goes a bit carmelish is the late afternoon sun.

o

I have a west facing living room that I am looking to repaint. I have an olive green couch. We just painted this room waterbury cream and it looks awful! It shows green undertones. I do have this color in another room and it looks great. Every warm color sample looks dirty in the morning and on fire in the afternoon. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.

o

Kristine, you need multiple pigments in the formula. Whenever you have a color like Waterbury Cream that contains a yellow colorant, like yellow oxide, and black which is used to tone it down, it create within the color a dimension of a green cast.

The aspect of green is always there because it's intrinsic to the paint color due to the mix of colorants. Whether the green cast shows in a room or not depends entirely on the quality of light. There has to be a similar aspect of green within the light source to "catch" the green cast in the paint color and reflect it back into the room so you can see it.

One of your rooms doesn't have that quality of green within the light, the other one does. It's that simple.

You have a quality of light that goes from one extreme to the other. We know that because you noticed that every warm color looks dirty in the morning and on fire in the afternoon.

So the answer is a paint color that can go from one extreme to the other too. One that is mixed full spectrum, like Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints or multi-pigmented like from C2 Paints.

o

Funcolors - Thank you so much for enlightening me! I had no idea about these full spectrum paints. I went on Ellen Kennon's website and I will call her and get samples. I'm so excited! I can't wait to repaint these ugly walls. You were right about the light in the one room. There is only one bow window on the west facing side. So not much natural light there.

I did see there were a couple of companies that sell the spectrum paint, but I am going to go with Ellen's because she was one of the ones you recommended. I see you know alot about colors.

Again, thank you so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here