Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Airless sprayer or brush/roller?

Posted by boone_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 22:19

We are having the entire interior of our 3-car garage painted, except for the floor ( walls, ceiling, inside of garage doors, wall cabinet of bare MDF, 2 entry doors plus trim, concrete wall base).
Our painter says he will be using a sprayer and will charge more if we wish to have him use roller/brush. We are concerned about paint spray getting into the furnace/water heater which are in wall niches; also don't know if the sprayer will distribute 2 coats of paint evenly without a 'foggy' look that we've read about. The project will take 2 days - first day prep, patch, prime; second day 2 coats of paint.
Please advise - should we go with the sprayer or have him use rollers/brush?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Airless sprayer or brush/roller?

Sprayer. There shouldn't be a foggy look because the wall and ceiling paint will be backrolled. So, in the end it will look as if it were brushed and rolled. The sprayer is just a tool used to get the paint on faster. If you are worried about overspray getting into the furnace and water heater room, then you should plastic that area off or let the painter know that you do not want any overspray getting in there and he will do it.

o

Thanks, Paintguy. He will not be backrolling - says he does such a good job, there is no need. We are worried about this.
Also, should we have full prime on walls or spot prime? They were painted 20 years ago but don't look bad except for some stains and holes that need patching.
Will 2 coats of paint using a sprayer look as "good" as two using a roller?

o

I have never tried to not backroll wall paint in my life, so I can't really be sure how it would look, but my first guess is that it will look flashy. I don't really spot prime anything. It is either full prime or no prime. Since paints are self priming these days, using the actual paint to spot prime is better than using an actual primer. If you use a real primer to spot paint areas, then you run the risk of those spot primed areas flashing through. Usually, two coats of a high quality paint is good for walls. A primer plus two coats is the best though, but in my experience most normal people do not get the best bang for their buck by paying extra for that primer coat.

o

Really appreciate you taking the time to give such a thoughtful and helpful reply,Paintguy.

You said "A primer plus two coats is the best though, but in my experience most normal people do not get the best bang for their buck by paying extra for that primer coat." Do you mean two coats of paint alone will do ( self-priming paint)? Sorry for my denseness!
Thanks again!

o

Yep, two coats of paint is usually fine.

o

Also you should paint with appropriate paint, masonry with masonry paint, metal with metal paint and also wooden bits with another type of paint.. Its not just to spray all over with some emulsion :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Painters and Decorators North London

o

Thanks, Paintguy. He will not be backrolling - says he does such a good job, there is no need. We are worried about this.

As well you should be. I have never seen a "good" job without backrolling.

o

Thank you very much for your replies, Paintguy, Rimce44 and Christophern. We decided not to go with this painter and are looking for someone else who will do it 'properly' :-).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here