Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on repainting paneling

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 22:05

We have wood paneling (tongue and groove) in our house. At one point it was either stained or polyurethaned or something. Years later, someone painted over it with latex paint (rubbing it with denatured alcohol took it off, so that means it's latex, right?)

We now need to repaint it all because some of it is affected by a renovation and it's time for a color change anyway. For the most part, even though it was never primed, it has help up well (it is on one wall and then used as wainscotting on the other living room walls, in the hallway and an additional room). However, even painters tape will pull the finish off.

So the question is, what steps should we take when we repaint. Cleaning it with Dirtex was one of my first plans. Should we prime on top of the existing paint? If so, with what primer ... Zinsser 123?

Please tell me we can get away without sanding it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on repainting paneling

The layers aren't bonded :( Probably whoever painted didn't do any surface prep.

It's sanding or stripping time.

o

Ugh ... that was NOT what I wanted to hear.

And yes, it appears they did no surface prep whatsoever. You don't think some kind of binding primer would do the trick?

o

If you want to try it on one spot, put the primer on, let it cure and then see if painter's tape pulls off the primer.

If it holds on, it was able to penetrate the latex and badly prepared surface. If it doesn't, you are going to have to strip and do a proper prep job.

o

Try a patch priming with Gardz. It might penetrate the old latex enough to work

Here is a link that might be useful: gardz

o

Excellent suggestions! Thanks! I will give that a try and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

o

If you have the time,I would try this product first. It is the original, Gardz is OK but it is just a copy of the real thing.Sorry,I should have suggested this first.

Here is a link that might be useful: draw tite

o

I will look for that, christopher. I've not seen it before so maybe I'll try to find a specialty paint store.

o

OK, I went to the hardware store where I normally buy my paint and they had Gardz, but the guy there recommended Zinsser Peel Stop.

Any thoughts?

o

Paint the paneling with one coat of the desired paint color and allow it to dry completely. Paint again with one more layer to ensure a vibrant color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting

o

What did you end up using wisailorgirl and how did it work??? I have a similar problem and would love to know the outcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here