Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What finish for navy blue walls?

Posted by marcia59 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 21:48

Hi. I apologize if this has been asked and answered a million times, but nothing turned up when I did a search.

I want to paint my son's bedroom navy blue. The room is not huge, so I'm thinking that a little extra shine to the paint might help counteract all that dark. OTOH, the walls are your usual not really perfect sheetrock. I usually use eggshell on the walls.

Would you recommend moving to a pearl or semigloss (all BM paints)?

Or should I take this question to the decorating forum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What finish for navy blue walls?

Aura Matte - absolutely gorgeous in navy blue. Will definitely hold up in a kids' room. The gloss level in paint isn't enough to act as a reflector of any significant quantity of light. Plus there's scatter issues. The idea that shiny paints somehow reflect a useable quantity of light back into the room is more myth than fact.

o

I agree with fun ^

o

The only thing shiny dark blue paint will do is make every flaw in the sheetrock show up.

When you say "dark" .. think "cozy" and add more lights.

o

I did my bathroom in dark blue and used eggshell finish, which was perfect, as it deepens of the color and doesn't get rub marks as flat would.
Photobucket
Navy blue would be darker than this color, of course.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here