Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmetcalf_gw

BM paint formulas

bmetcalf
12 years ago

I chose Benjamin Moore Kangaroo for my walls. I bought the "big" paint chip prior to selecting the color. The contractor put some of the color that he bought on the wall and I couldn't believe the difference. I stopped him immediately. It just was not the same color at all that was on the thirty inch painted board or chip that I brought home.

I don't want to pay for a new color selection. I think that it was mixed incorrectly. The color is Ben Mo AF-145. What should the base be - 1 or 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

The base will be on the can.
    If you think it is wrong just take it back, they will fix it.

• Michael
    12 years ago

The contractor put some of the color that he bought on the wall and I couldn't believe the difference.

and at least let it dry before judging the color.

• FroofyCat
    12 years ago

to be honest, I've had more mistakes with mixing colors from Benjamin Moore than anywhere else. If you are getting it at a smaller hardware store with a small paint section - I really think they are prone to making mistakes with the mix and it is wrong!

I drive far specifically for a larger paint store for BM paints because they deal with higher volume, staff is always the same and they know how to work the machine to mix colors. I do love BM paints, but I find the digital paint mixers at the big box stores are never wrong and the colors are always a dead on match every time!

• taureg
    12 years ago

I hate to tell you this but there is NO relationship between any printed paint chip and the actual color. And, to make matters worse, if you paint a sample and then decided to buy the paint in a different BM line, the color will change again, because the bases are different colors.

I did a million tests and thought I would go insane because of the differences between the chips and the actual color and then going for. BN line to line - Aura, for example, is totally different than standard BM paint.
    . Despite learning this, I forgot about it when I ordered the paint for my just completed paint job. I was afraid to use the Janovic paint, whose color I liked and which is a BM paint, so I bought standard BM. HUGE mistake.

The Janovic has a pastel base and the BM a medium base. As a result, the color is much yellower - really ugly under halogen light- and I will need to reprint my entire 900 square foot loft again.

I really wish they would publicize both the hip issue and the base I pact.

The only chips that might be reliable are pained ones, made by very expensive full spectrum paint companies.