Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindiw2

Not good paint job

cindiw2
12 years ago

I had a paint job by a family friend who claimed to know everything; maybe he does, but it did not turn out good. Blotches, smears, and other inconsistencies. He applied paint+primer one coat, and patched up holes but the areas really look very different than the rest of the wall which has texture to it. I don't know how it got that texture; whether from the roller or as he says, it was that way before on the drywall. But ... the patches are smoother and definitely not uniform with the rest of the wall. I don't know how he did it; how he smoothed them out before painting. My question is: because it's such a bad paint job in my opinion, I'm wondering if it would be easier if I were to get a knockdown texture. I don't want knockdown, but there are plenty of things I don't want and must accept anyway. So would knockdown applied over the recently painted but blemished wall serve to cover up many blemishes? It's a condo apartment and like I say I'm not too keen to get a knockdown texture, but a gal's gotta do what she's gotta do. What do you think I should do?

Comments (6)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I think you should hire someone to fix the mess your friend made. It's not difficult to fix. You could do it yourself with the right information, skills and equipment. But if you got someone else to do the basic painting, then it doesn't sound like you are the type of person who wants to tackle a problem like this. I don't mean that as an insult. Some people love doing stuff like this, others don't.

• cindiw2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't mind answering you. I would have liked to have done the job myself. But I am over 65 with arthritis and bad knees. Thanks for the encouragement (I mean that) that I might possibly be able to do some things for myself. I'm going to try and plug up some of the holes in the rest of the apt. before the painter comes in.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

I'm going to try and plug up some of the holes in the rest of the apt. before the painter comes in.

Speaking as a painter

DON'T do that! Let the painter do it, it is part of his or her job and they will do it better and faster.

• stonehard
    12 years ago

i agree- hire someone that knows that they are doing

• callie25
    12 years ago

I definitely would not get knockdown if you don't want it. I agree with the others...it can be fixed. Anytime you patch a place on a sheetrock wall, it will look different. The patched place should be primed 1st trying to match the same texture as the other part of the wall (sometimes primed twice). Then you can roll on the paint (will take more than one coat in that patched area).

• Linda
    12 years ago

Dont plug up the holes. This is a very simple job for a painter and it makes a big difference in the finished product. It it not expensive for them to do a little bit of patching and spackeling before they paint.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022