Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karle13_gw

Ceiling and walls same color

karle13
10 years ago

We are painting a whole house and the main parts are revere pewter, BM, and the other rooms are slightly different colors.we have no crown moldings, or high ceilings and it's a very open floor plan. We were told to paint the ceilings the same color as the walls to create a larger area! Any one do this? Did you love it??

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

When you do, the ceilings do not look the same color as the walls ... they will be a couple of shades different because of the light angle.

I've done it and liked it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, it all depends on the space and other elements. This is popular today and is easier to paint them the same color. Who told you to paint them the same? Be sure it is not simple bias due to it being easier or cheaper (paint color changes add to cost, getting a nice ceiling line is more work).

• karle13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually a decorator told me too!

• cannes
    10 years ago

I've done it in a couple rooms with coved ceilings. I like it too and plan on doing it again in my bathroom.

• karle13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does it make the room look smaller??

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Depending on the color, it could close the room in. If you are enveloping yourself in a color, versus just a light shade of white, you will feel it. Sometimes that coziness is s a good thing, sometimes not, and not for everyone. Crown can break it up so there is still a clear separation.

• karle13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Dominoswtath revere pewter is gray, but has some taupe in it , that's why I love it! It's a light color, not to dark but you can see it!

• nnelson1
    7 years ago

This is what my decorated advised also. Karle13, did you end up going with it? Do you love it?

• divecaribbean
    7 years ago

Keep in mind if your ceilings aren't in perfect condition you will want to go with a flat paint for the ceiling, and whatever finish you choose on the walls. Ceiling light fixtures will also reflect off of paint that it not a flat finish - something else to consider if you don't want your eyes drawn up to the ceiling. I know 3 designers and they all have their own preference for finish so it's really a matter of personal choice.

I love my bathroom ceiling painted black - same color as walls - but I can get away with this since the majority of the room is white subway tile all the way around, and a white hex tile floor with black accents.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company