Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Textured Ceiling

Posted by Barbnvabeach (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 19:27

Hi everyone,
I need some advise please. I have high (15 ft) ceilings that have that horrible texture that is sprayed over wallboard. I cannot remove it so I want to paint it(?) I am painting the walls and thought I would do the ceilings a different color. Question is, how do I do this? Is there a trick to it? I have heard many stories about painting this type of ceiling, horror stories. Help or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Textured Ceiling

Do you mean "popcorn" finish? If so, why can't you remove it?

o

Yes, I believe they do call it popcorn. To much of a job and mess for me to handle and I really cannot afford to have someone do it for me. I will be doing all of the painting so I was hoping I could just paint it and forget it.

o

It is not that easy to paint because the little popcorn bits will just fall off on contact with a roller. You'd probably have to spray paint.

And if you do paint it, it will be extremely hard to EVER get the popcorn off. Do think this through. As is, you just wet the popcorn and scrape it off. But once it is painted....

Get some estimates. I waited 10 years to get rid of my nasty popcorn ceilings and in retrospect that was about 9.9 years too long! Changed the room dramatically and worth every penny.

o

The problem is that it will absorb the paint, then fall off in chunks. Then it looks really ugly!

Leave it until you can afford to remove it, or have the time to DIY. It's not difficult, but it's backbreaking. And 15 feet up, you want a pro with scaffolding.

o

As mentioned, it is easier to remove it than to try and paint it and after it is painted it is next to impossible to remove.

o

Thanks everyone. I believe the best thing for me to do is just leave it alone for now! I will learn to ignore it ?:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here