Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wormgirl

EK Pumpkin Spice, Bronze - 3 coats?

wormgirl_8a_WA
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm about to do a big Ellen Kennon paint order to paint my new office.

I've painted a whole lot of EK test boards, and two coats always looked great. I noticed that with the colors Pumpkin Spice, Tuscan Sun, and perhaps Bronze, it's questionable whether 2 coats will be satisfactory. I am wondering if I should plan for 3. I'm not actually planning to use Tuscan Sun, but it seems to be "an orange thing."

My Pumpkin Spice sample broke in the mail so my amount of paint was compromised. Also, I did a couple of these boards with a brush rather than a roller (my bad, I know). I know these things can affect the sample board, so I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with this on a real wall.

I never cross post -- but since this is time sensitive, perhaps I will do so in the home decorating forum as well. (EK paint sale ends Oct 31.) Thanks for any input you have!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Prime first with a quality primer tinted towards the pumpkin, then you will only need 2 coats.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Repeat.

Prime first with a quality primer tinted towards the pumpkin, then you will only need 2 coats.

The Bronze may only cover 350 SF in order to have uniform appearance, so be generous.

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the excellent advice. funcolors suggested the same thing.

Do you mean I don't have to order the primer through Ellen, and just use one of their colors that is kind of close?

• Michael
    12 years ago

Any quality primer will work as a base for EK paints.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Colors like you're mentioning are most likely gonna be in the "darkest" tint-base, meaning these types of colors are gonna look sorta SHEER if you don't know what you're doing!!

Odds are there's a lot of Red and Yellow/Yellow-Oxide colorants in the formula. These colorants have little hiding-power in & of themselves. PLUS...they go into a "sheerer" tint-base.

>>> Yes...as the others above said-
    Tint the primer towards your main color.
    Then TWO FULL coats of the color.

Faron

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brushworks and faron, your advice is impeccable, as always. Trust me, I would never think of doing any less than 2 coats! My boyfriend thinks I'm insane, and I think he is :-)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I used one coat of primer and two coats of EK Bronze, and it looked great.

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

graywings, awesome! How do you like your Bronze? There is a pic on Ellen's site that makes it look bright tangerine (it's in a cafe), but I assume that's not how it looks in real life.

I am considering it for a massage treatment room so I don't want anything too orange - too stimulating. But I don't think it will read orange on the wall.

• PRO
    12 years ago

brushworks and faron, your advice is impeccable, as always

Soooooo , my advice is no good?

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I used it as an accent paint with EK Buttercream. It has a slightly metallic look, which I love. It doesn't read orange, more burnt orange.

I'm planning to use it in my current house for the back of bookcases.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Christophern.....LOL!!!

Your summation is correct however.
    . .
    . .
    JUST KIDDING!!!!

Faron

• wormgirl_8a_WA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christophern... sorry!!! Thank you ALL for your advice.

If I ask the paint guys to tint it "towards" the color, will they know what to do? Or do I have to pick out a chip for them?

graywings... Wow! Beautiful. I can really see the metallic look of the color in your photo, especially with the other golden accents in the room, which bring it out. Ellen mentions it, but I couldn't see it till now. Thanks for posting that, it really helps.

• taureg
    12 years ago

See if they can do a color match with a chip that you've painted. I just painted my loft and used primer tinted the same color as the paint. Why not ask Ellen what she suggests?

• PRO
    12 years ago

So, I had to have my feelings hurt for a whole week, I'm not sure I like this place :-)