Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint my garage door in accent color?

Posted by lljc00 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 19:15

I have a small craftsman with a detached single car garage. The garage door is actually lovely and made of wood with a good amount of character. The layout is unique in that the garage door is more forward than the house, but again, it's detached off to the right side. I think the width of the house is about 20 ft, while the width of the garage is say 10 ft.

I was thinking of a Robin's Egg blue-green body, white trim, black or charcoal gray for the window sash, and either orange or red for the front door. Do you think I should also accent the garage door or just paint it in the white trim (which is currently the color scheme it follows)? If I do accent it, should I then go with a red which might be less dramatic than an orange? If I went with a bright orange (think, goldfish in a bowl), then should I definitely go with white for the garage door? Or should I choose a more rusty orange, and then it might be OK to paint the garage door too? (The neighborhood is suburban, but not so suburban that it cant tolerate some out of the box colors.)

I could only figure out how to post one picture, so the rest are in my picasaweb account. The garage door pic is a new one with lots more sun than the other exterior pics. Sorry, I dont have one picture with both house and garage in it. Note that in the pic of the garage door, the windows have pieces of white paper taped up on them (my tenants did this) so that's why it looks like its solid on the top piece with a dark border painted, but its not (though I like the look!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint my garage door in accent color?

Just helping others see the pics...

o

IMO, I would leave it as it is. The problem with fancy-ing up the garage door is that you will draw people's eyes to it. You want people to focus on the house, not the garage.

o

I would paint the garage door body the same as the body of the house and continue with the trim color just around the flat trim so it matches the rest of the house.

o

Thanks for the input folks, and the point about not detracting from the house. (I'm actually wondering how much more my painter would charge to "experiment"?)

o

FYI, here's a picture of the whole front view with both the house and garage.

o

Thought I would follow up with a picture of what I finally went with. The paint is all Kelly Moore matching:
Body - Martha Stewart Enamelware (light blue/green)
Trim - Ben Moore Wedding Veil (white)
Front Door - BM Poppy (red)
Sashes and Garage Door - BM Overcoat (dark gray)

If I did this over, I think I would have gone with a more grayer blue. Oh well, next time.

o

Close up of the house only

o

Close up of the house only

o

It looks lovely!

I know how you feel about wishing you had gone darker. Selecting outside colors is much different than choosing indoor colors. It's hard to see a paint chip that seems so dark and understand that it will look a lot lighter when painted outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here