Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovegadgets

ANY users of Benjamin Moore Matte paint?

lovegadgets
17 years ago

I am painting kitchen, family and sunroom BM Acorn Yellow. Has anyone used BM Matte? I am wondering if it is truely washable. I can use satin in the kitchen as I don't have any long bare walls, but my family room has a long wall that is not perfect so I would like a washable matte. I don't mind paying the extra money for a truely washable paint. Comments?

Comments (18)

• Michael
    17 years ago

I've had nothing but good experiences with it in my residential repaint business. Use the satin in the kitchen and the matte in the other two rooms.

Be sure to prime first! Use Fresh Start Acrylic primer and then two coats of Regal Matte.

Michael

• carolb4
    17 years ago

I painted my powder room with BM Regal Matte this past weekend and I'm thrilled with the results. My intention was to use the new BM Aura paint in matte, but the combination of the recommendation from the salesperson at the paint store and Michael's endorsement of the Regal Matte changed my mind. Too soon to tell how well it will wear, but it is beautiful paint.

• lovegadgets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments....I have never heard of the Aura paint...another one to check out?

My powder room shouldn't get too wet, as my kids are now 8-10, but I do wonder how the paint will hold up to splashed water by not-too-careful kids. I love the look of matte paint, but not at the expense of wearability and cleanability. I am glad you are happy with your bath carolb4!

• Michael
    17 years ago

Aura paint info is at http://www.myaurapaint.com

• lovegadgets
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks brushworks!

• beache
    17 years ago

I used the Regal Matte in several rooms last year including my half bath off the kitchen. I was worried because it's a tiny room and with 2 kids I knew that water would end up splashed on the walls sometimes (the sink has about 3" clearance on each side). Anyway, it has held up really well and even if water is splashed and dripping down the wall, I can wipe it and you'd never know it a few moments later.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

In one of my bathrooms I have had (see red face here) an Impervo latex that was painted over a latex enamel (?), recommended by BM personnel for 11 years (face getting redder) that was matched to my cabinetry in that room. It has been perfect for washing. One of my grandkids colored on the wall and it washed right off. Like I say, that was 11 years ago. It is a matte finish but the primer was great but smelly. The BM people, at that time, had been my neighbors for years, so they knew the walls I was working with.

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

Whole house of Regal Matte here with no problems. It's so nice even Ivette hasn't been able to convince me why I should switch brands.

• julieann_grow
    17 years ago

I talked with the paint rep from BM about the new Aura paint. It is a scrubbable flat! Their motto is "Anyplace, Anywhere". No water stains in bathrooms, great for kitchens.

• kerryokie
    16 years ago

I have used BM Regal Matte and found it to be a very nice paint.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

BM Regal Matte, yes it is very nice paint but beware, it does not "touch up" well.

• lkplatow
    16 years ago

I used the Regal Matte in our living room and wasn't thrilled with it. If you look down the wall, you can see differences in the sheen where the roller was rolled. And where I spackled, the sheen is totally different than where I didn't. I know the proper way is to prime the whole wall, but it was a huge wall and a very small spackle spot. I've skipped the priming over spackled spots with every paint I've ever used and the BM regal matte was the only one that ever let the spackle spot show through.

Also, I agree with christophern that it is hard to touch up. I also haven't found it to be very cleanable - small marks and stuff from my kids do NOT come off.

I prefer Duron's Velvet Flat - much less sheen than the Regal Matte (which has quite a bit of sheen in spite of supposedly being "matte"), a nice thick paint that covers completely in two coats max, and I have yet to meet the mark that won't come off of it. We had it in our walk in closet where it got extremely scuffed from shoes being tossed against the wall, etc. I found that the scuff marks wouldn't come off the semigloss trim but wiped off the velvet flat walls with just a wet rag. It's been in our master bathroom getting spattered with toothpaste and hairspray for 6 years now and after a quick swipe with a damp rag, it still looks like it was just painted yesterday. Amazing stuff!

• myperfectcolor
    16 years ago

We haven't much heard about the Duron paint. There isn't anyone near us who sells that. I'd like to see it compared against the Aura which we used recently.

• katied_2007
    16 years ago

My painter recommended using the aura paint without him first trying it. It was recommended to him where he purchases his paint. We have tried it in several rooms now and it looks great our only problem is our painter has complained the entire time. He says it takes too long to use. I was wondering if anyone else, especially any of you in the business, if you find that to be the case. He switched us back to california 2010 because he thought it just took too long to paint with the aura. He said to do our 1/2 bath it took him from 8am until 2pm, I wasn't home to verify that he painted this whole time. It isn't a very big room. He said because he had to cut in then wait an hour, then roll it out, wait and hour, cut it in again wait and hour, then roll it out it wasnt time efficient for him. We still have a room to do and had picked the "tea room" color off the aura pallet. He said that he would prefer the california 2010 because of the time involved but would also be charging us more $ than originally quoted because of the additional coats that would be required. I was wondering if he is applying it incorrectly, and perhaps he is making it harder on himself. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painter question

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

It's not really an issue. I don't wait an hour before I roll....I just make sure that the cut-ins are completely dry before rolling and usually this does not take an hour. Worse case I will cut in a wall, then the next wall, then the next wall and by the time I have cut in the fourth wall, wall #1 is ready to be rolled. The recoat time is one hour and that's the fastest recoat time of any paint on the market....how can he complain about that? Other paints recommend 4-6 hours before recoating so how can using those be more efficient?

• alphapainting
    16 years ago

Paintguy is correct 100%. We do it the exact same way. Aura dries a little to fast. I heard that Benjamin Moore is going to be releasing an extender additive that slows down drying. Aura is definitely the best paint I have ever used. I have been putting up paint every day for 20 years. You can really scrub it without altering color pigmentations. It takes better touchup than any other non-flat product.

Alpha Painting - Professional house painting contractors.

www.alphapainting.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.alphapainting.com

• nowstarter
    15 years ago

check out this link: they wash Black sharpie magic marker off Aura paint surface

Benjamin Moore
    Aura Paint
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyWNRxZpiQ

Here is a link that might be useful: AURA NO PRIMER DEMONSTRATION *SUPERIOR