Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Compare F&B Pointing to BM Linen White?

sayde
13 years ago

I know, I know I have to try it out with samples, but has anyone looked at both BM Linen White and F&B Pointing? Would appreciate any insights about differences in the color between these two. (Just focusing on the color here, not the quality of the look and feel of the paint).

Comments (3)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

F&B Pointing is a wonderful all purpose white -- like a crisp white blouse. I used it on all my ceilings and woodwork in our house.

The consistency of F&B paint is different from all others (with the exception of Sydney Harbor). F&B is a clay-based paint with far more colorants (as many as 16 in some hues) than most other brands and an almost puddinglike texture.

The hiding quality is exceptional and the Estate emulsion gives a velvety texture to walls.

Ben Moore is good quality, regular paint with 3-5 colorants. Completely different surface quality and nowhere near the complexity of undertones.

Radiator covers in our apartment were painted BM Linen White (factory choice). That's a close match to our woodwork done in F&B White Tie, an ivory.

• sayde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rococogurl

I have tried several of the F&B paints --lovely paint, but cannot get a color that works. Overall have tried upwards of 15 different offwhites and beiges, various brands. The BM Linen White seems to have the right greyed-ivory color but lighter than I wanted. I then tried it at 2X -- better, may-be a touch too saturated. I think I will order at 1.5 or 1.75 colorant. Interesting. that the 2x Linen White looks a great deal like the Donald Kaufman DKC 28 -- it is just a smidge more orange than the DKC. I think at 1.5 rather than 2X it is about as close to the color I need as I have seen.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

No surprise that F&B might not be exactly what you need. The same color changes from room to room. My amazing apartment dining room color looked like smoke damage in my house. A few of my friends in different parts of the country couldn't use it at all. Colors just didn't work.

Here Linen White and White Tie are very close. I have them on the same wall with woodwork just above the radiator cover. Linen white is creamier. White Tie has a slight umber undertone.

Friends of mine have used the Kaufman paints and adore them. He has an entire white fandeck now. They are inaccessible for me so I didn't even consider them and I'm hooked on the F&B surface.

If Fine Paints of Europe is accessible to you they also have a white fandeck and can match any Pantone color. It's extremely fine, high performance paint.