Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used ProMar 200 by Sherwin Williams?

Posted by jazzygardener (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 07 at 18:14

I painted my bathroom 6 months ago with ProMar 200 by Sherwin Williams and the paint is still running down the walls. I'm not kidding there are paint streaks on the walls after the shower has been used.I can wipe the paint off the wall with a damp cloth. I cleaned and primed the bathroom walls before I painted to make sure I got a good finish. I've painted every room in our house and have never had this problem before. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm totally disappointed with Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 and will never buy this product again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used ProMar 200 by Sherwin Williams?

It sounds like the paint never dried. It's not the paint....ProMar 200 is a quality paint. If the paint has never dried and then you shower and moisture ends up sitting on paint that isn't dry that is what happens. When you repaint, use the fan in the bathroom, don't shower for a few days...whatever you have to do to let that paint completely dry. Also, showering with the door open for the first month can help as well. Paint takes about that long to fully cure.

o

It's obviously only happening in the bathroom. Right?

Your problem is called, surfactant leaching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaching

o

Jazzy,
SW makes some very nice paints...BUT...

ProMar 200 is in their "low-tier" contractor line.
* It's just fine for apartments & lower-priority places, but there's better choices out there.
* The "solids-volume %" is only average at best, & are of a lower-quality.
* This (& similiar lines) paint is also hard to match in scanners because the film typically isn't as opaque as better lines.
* When painted over a black stripe, better paints show much less black than lower-tier lines.

>>> These points are SOME of the reason you're having trouble. The main issue is as Michael outlines.
>>> BTW...What sheen/color did you use??

Faron

o

She said she was wiping actual paint off the walls though....that's more than leaching, unless she actually thinks it looks like paint running off the walls and it's not.

o

Hmmmm...some pigment may be coming off with the surfactants present in the "leaching".

Jazzy...also...
How long after painting was done did the 1st hot-shower happen?

Faron

o

I think it's that Water Whitening business. I've seen it a couple times in person (my own bathroom is what started my quest for info) and several subsequent posts about it on forums.

I have noticed that the cheaper paints can let go of color along with moisture and surfacants. The better grades/brands recover from the water whitening quicker and more gracefully. And, they have a better chance of releasing the surfacants to the point of the problem completely going away with time. I'm sure the PQI guy could explain, dunno.

It can look like the walls are bleeding and people's first inclination is to wipe them down. I kinda think the best thing to do is leave it alone. Make sure the bathroom is well ventilated, let it dry out naturally each time and just wait it out til one day it just goes away.

"rmichael
postingpro
YaBB God
Re:Here's One for ya: Water spotting, Weeping
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 05:54:19 PM Quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Lori,
My first thought was that the paint film had not yet fully cured, however, I forwarded your question to John Stauffer, technical director over at The Rohm and Hass Paint Quality Institute
www.paintquality.com
Here is the PQI's reply:

"Water-whitening" can sometimes happen with latex-based coatings. Enough moisture makes its way into the coating film to swell the polymer particles, which normally are not 100% fused even though the pant has dried, resulting in micro-gaps which scatter light, thus causing the whiteness. It of course is not noticeable with white paints, but it can be with clear latex films, and with medium and dark colors. Tinted paints are generally made with more surfactants (soaps) than are white paints, which increases the tendency, because the surfactants increase water absorbancy by the dried paint. When the streaks dry out, the light scattering drops off, and may disappear altogether. As the shower is used over time, and condensation extracts the surfactants from the paint, whitening tendency will decrease."

Just the nature of the acrylic beast..Makes sense to me.... "

o

Summary.

Use bathroom paint. PermaWhite, not ProMar200.

Michael

o

Hi, Thanks for all the follow-ups. The color I used is called "surfer". It's a med teal color. I was having problems getting the paint to dry when I started. I put fans in the bathroom and had the door and window open for ventilation but, nothing seemed to work. I called Sherwin Williams twice and all they told me was that it would take over 48 hours to dry. I've painted this bathroom before but, never had this problem. The paint color really is running down the wall. Every morning there's teal blue droplets of paint in the shower and sink. If I wipe the wall down with a damp cloth the paint color is on the cloth. I did some stenciling around the top of the room and the stenciled on paint has held up fine it's just the Promar 200 that's running. What's a better quality bathroom paint, something other than SW. What can I do? Do I need to re-prime the walls and start over?

o

Sherwin Williams offers a bathroom paint.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Bath Paint

o

Aura Bath&Spa by Benjamin Moore will take care of your problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here